Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

You sure? Have you researched this?

Maybe the GAA should introduce designated holiday and wedding seasons?

2 Likes

As I said weā€™ll see. I donā€™t foresee a massive drop off in attendance. By and large I donā€™t think the GAA are really competing with other sports when it comes to attendances. TV viewing figures maybe. I also donā€™t think less interest in the intercounty game if it does happen would have a catastrophic impact on the grassroots. That is more about local engagement.

They have, May and June

Thatā€™s great, the New York final at the end of June should be a cracker so.

I fail to see how organisation at under 13 to under 17 level is connected to what happens at senior level in terms of fixtures.

Offaly may also find that their fixtures at underage level start reducing fairly quickly if theyā€™re intent on throwing out kids who play association football.

No one might attend round robin club games in Dublin but look at Cork football championship this year. Castlehaven, Clonakilty and Nemo Rangers in 1 group with only 2 to go through. Nemo have a small support but Clonakilty v Castlehaven will definitely have 2 to 3 thousand at it. Senior hurling has Blackrock, Sarsfields and St Finbarrs all in 1 group which again will draw big crowds. Dublin club championship crowds are pitiful but not a representation of the whole country.

3 Likes

Sure it will, and Cork footballers will win the All-Ireland this year.

Agree with this. No reason the the all Ireland club semi finals couldnā€™t be played in mid jan and the finals on the new February bank holiday weekend.

All Ireland inter county finals played in mid August. Club championships starts in late august. Holidays are over. J1s are back. Everyone is a winner.

2 Likes

I think we can all agree, the All Ireland Club Series is the issue here. Bin it, and move on.

Protect the Oā€™Byrne Cup at all costs.

You obviously have never been to West Cork. Fanatical about football. You donā€™t understand mate living in Dublin.

ā€œYou just donā€™t get it, fella.ā€

Hereā€™s a couple of photos of a key final round robin match between Clonakilty and Oā€™Donovan Rossa Skibbereen from the 2019 Cork SFC, played on a sunny afternoon in August.

Massive crowds, as you can see.

Thatā€™s outstanding internetting.

I think thatā€™s a very fair point also. Clubs are the bread and butter but like every sport, the elite level is a huge driver financially, for participation and of course just driving the profile of the sport (s) in general. They need to move the IC season on 3/4 more weeks. Mid April is just too early.

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to know who the gaa got to look at this as well. I bet thereā€™s qualified people who are good with numbers who could come up with something a lot better.

Look at what?

2 pictures showing behind the goals. You donā€™t attend club games in West Cork so you havenā€™t a clue.

5 Likes

I donā€™t attend club games in West Cork. The problem is neither does anybody else.

1 Like

Cork senior footballers attract very little support but West Cork is a hotbed of football.

1 Like

Another thing the GAA need to cop on ta fuck about is actually promoting the Club Game.

I mean what went on this year on Finalā€™s Day was absolutely nuts. Laverty giving one of the great Croke Park speeches while Fergal Horgan was throwing in the ball for some nonsense National Hurling League game. And guess which was televised?