Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Intercounty managers have too much power and it’s not going to change. In light of that the split season is the best and really only option to allow the club game to thrive.

You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube

2 Likes

Fellas have an incredibly poor attitude.

The reality is the majority on here don’t give two hoots about the club season. It’s very easy to say I’m delighted with the split season because we’ve 9 months of an inter county season while the club championship is run off in a few short weeks.

How many season ending injuries will we have next weekend as the players are asked to play seven days after emptying themselves.

It’s an utterly ridiculous format created to keep the big counties happy and shaft the weaker counties.

I basically only care about the club championship. Most championships bar those that decided to condense their championships are played over 3 months or so which is well enough time.

It’s great for the weaker counties, see Westmeath getting 4 chances a year in championship to rattle a big county and they had their best win ever probably yesterday.

If you can’t recover from a game in 7 days you shouldn’t be playing high level sport

3 Likes

That’s nonsense.

The players train and prepare like professionals but they don’t have time to rest like professionals as they’ve jobs.

you saw with Clare last year they were out on their feet in the all Ireland semi final.

A few Galway players probably never really recovered from 2018 when they’d a few replays on top of the all the round robin games.

If you create a professional type season you need to give the players a chance to rest.

3 Likes

Very few intercounty players are in physically demanding jobs these days.

Mental fatigue is a bigger issue for any team

You should try and tell that to Darren gleeson.

This new season is as much about about survival of the fittest at times.

The league has become utterly pointless because teams can’t try a leg in it or they’ll pay for it in the championship.

Don’t forget that last year, people were still hiding under the bed because Tony Holohan told them to.

1 Like

Mental fatigue leads to physical fatigue. They’re pretty much the same thing when you boil it down.

The public are voting with their feet. Record crowds :clap::clap::clap:

A real smack of I’m alright Jack off that from the Limericks. For another year or two anyway, or possibly even only for another week.

Up until fairly recently there was generally viewed as 9 credible Tier 1 hurling counties. Offaly were relegated to the 3rd tier in recent years, Wexford on the brink of relegation next weekend and Waterford over the past 5 years (bar a short reprieve in Covid championships that nobody really took seriously) have descended back to the oblivion there were in 35 years between 1963-1998 when they won just 5 championship games in 35 years. That’s catastrophic for inter-county hurling.

They’re probably the 3 of the 9 with the smallest pick. Limerick once this team is gone will most likely descend back to mediocrity. Clare even with a generational player like Tony Kelly and a manager of the stature of Brian Lohan don’t have the squad or depth to really sustain it, as evidenced by how they went outside of Munster last year, nearly losing to Wexford, then annihilated by Kilkenny.

Split seasons, round robin blitzes on top of changes in recent years like 6 subs are all changes that ultimately stack the deck in favour of the big beasts with the depth of numbers.

Gas how the things that happen now are made a big deal out by these fellas, while ignoring that they were happening for decades before and will happen again in decades to come.for example, Offaly are an incredible county, but dining at the top table has always been the aberration, not the norm.

Life is cycles.

1 Like

Everything is sensational now. Hurling like :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It was 3 at most between 2013 and 2020 but I would say it’s about 7 now. Kerry, Dublin, Mayo, Galway, Tyrone, Armagh and Derry. The football is opening up since Dublin dropped back a bit to the pack.

Or a “classic”.Every week.

1 Like

Clare will sustain this form. Flying at all levels. You state Carlow hurling has been ruined due to split season. Only time i ever saw Carlow playing was in 2006 against Antrim, curtain raiser to Cork Waterford all ireland semi. Carlow were so bad it is the only game of hurling i ever fell asleep at and there was no split season around in 2006.

It’s all the fucking podcasts lads faults. Bugging up any aul shite. Overanalysing hurling like it was invented in the past 10 years

Clare are favourites now. The bookies just haven’t caught up yet

Serious work

It’s only just begun

Incredible stamina