Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

No matter what format anyone proposes The big 3 in hurling are still going to win 75% of all Irelands and the big 2 in football will win 50-60% of football titles.

The main reasons being a bigger playing pool, finances, strong clubs and history although Cork are in a famine they are likely to get back up the steps soon.

1 Like

Meanwhile a gaa commishee is self-justifying with this bullshit.

Did you see the ones on hurling??

I did. I suppose there are two commishee rather than just the one. FFS like.

What a waste of travel expenses. Promote the games properly you clowns and leave the sport alone

There will be cunts with measuring tapes lining up to object to the side of young fellas hurleys in the u12C shield final

I see the split season zealots have only gone and scheduled the Munster Hurling Final at the same time as the century old Corpus Christi procession in Cork. Munster Hurling Final should be played on the first Sunday in July.

Is there any depths that these split season zealots won’t plummet. cc @peddlerscross, @Cheasty, @Tassotti, @BruidheanChaorthainn

The Catholic Bishop of Cork and Ross has encouraged Cork’s ‘new communities’ to join in the rejuvenation the city’s historic Eucharistic Procession next month.

Bishop Fintan Gavin will announce details of plans to breathe new life and energy into the near century-old public religious ceremony, which is set to take place through the streets of Cork on the afternoon of Sunday, June 11, for the first time since the pandemic.

He has also defended a decision to proceed with the procession at the same time as the Munster hurling final.

Bishop Fintan Gavin will announce details of plans to breathe new life and energy into the near century-old public religious ceremony, which is set to take place through the streets of Cork on the afternoon of Sunday, June 11, for the first time since the pandemic.

He has also defended a decision to proceed with the procession at the same time as the Munster hurling final.

The success or otherwise of the procession will not be based on attendance numbers alone, he said, with the focus instead on renewing it ahead of the centenary procession in 2026.

Bishop Gavin has now issued a special invite to parishioners, various faith groups, and schools to get involved, but he has also, through a special planning and coordination committee, reached out to Catholic members of the city’s Ukrainian, Indian, Brazilian, African, Polish, and Croatian communities to encourage them to take part in the public celebration of their faith.

“We have had a team of people phoning the representatives of the various communities explaining what the procession is, and why it’s important that they are here — telling them that they have a voice, that they are represented, and that they are part of our faith community,” he said.

“It used to be an event that involved almost every person in Cork. This procession will have participants from every continent.”

The Eucharistic procession, to mark the feast of Corpus Christi, has been a significant part of the city’s religious heritage for almost a century.

The first event was held in 1926 when a group of city businessmen approached the then Bishop, Daniel Cohalan, with the idea of a staging a Eucharistic procession through the city to celebrate the Catholic faith. It was viewed at the time as among the wider efforts to heal post-civil war divisions which had split the city and region.

It grew to become the largest Eucharistic procession in the country, with tens of thousands of people walking annually from their parish churches to the city centre for Benediction on Daunt Square.

Against the backdrop of a fall-off in church attendance and a near collapse in vocations, attendance at the procession has dwindled in recent years to just a few hundred faithful.

Bishop Gavin said as is the case with the structure of the local Church, something had to change.

He established a committee about four months ago to plan the rejuvenation of the procession in the run-up to its centenary in three years, and it has devised a new format.

Participants will be invited to gather at the Cathedral of St Mary and St Anne at 2.30pm on June 11 for payers, before processing at 3pm down Upper Saint John St, Mulgrave Road, over Christy Ring Bridge, right along Lavitt’s Quay, left onto Half Moon St and Academy St, and then right again on St Patrick’s St to Saints Peter and Paul’s Church for Benediction at around 3.30pm, where the bishop will deliver the homily at what will be his first Eucharistic procession since his profession as bishop in 2019.

The procession will be live-streamed onto big screens inside and outside the church.

Bishop Gavin has also encouraged children who have received the sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation, and those sitting the Leaving Cert, to take part too.

The relaunch of the Eucharistic procession is a very visible example of the required renewal and rejuvenation which is underway across the dioceses to rebuild the church post covid, and to encourage closer cooperation between priests and parishioners, the bishop said.

Last August, he set out his vision for the local Church in a pastoral letter that acknowledged the request for more lay involvement and the development of strong teamwork with the clergy.

That new vision included the ‘family of parishes’ model which has seen groups of parishes sharing resources, including priests, leading to a reduction in the number of and frequency of masses.

This weekend of Pentecost Sunday — the birthday of the Church — representatives from each parish will attend workshops, led by Irish-born US-based author and retreat leader, Julianne Stanz, the director of evangelisation and discipleship for the diocese of Green Bay, Wisconsin, to explore how to run and organise parish faith communities with more involvement from the lay community.

“It will begin the discussion to change the culture and narrative around how we run our parishes,” the bishop said.

1 Like

Good piece by the brick Walsh on the “rugbyisation” of the game of hurling currently going on.

1 Like

@ChairmanDan its really hit home to me these past few days how much this split season nonsense has put out our diaspora.

I had a friend home from London for the Cork game a few weeks ago and another home, again from London for the one at the weekend, and now that it looks a formality that Tipp will be in Croke Park for a semi final and final, they were both enquiring about dates to be home again for.

I told them the All Ireland Semi’s were on the first weekend in July like last year with the final two weeks later, so go ahead and book the flights, but low and behold I’m now told they have actually changed it again this year with the Semi’s on the second week in July and the Final the 4th weekend in July (what was Football All Ireland weekend last year).

You just couldn’t keep to these split season zealots. They are completely making it up as they go along.

The rugby style crash ball “line break” seems to be coming into hurling a bit. That young lad Cian O’Sullivan who plays for Dublin hurlers looks like a rugby league player. His first instinct is to sprint and only after he’s done that for five or six steps does he think about using the hurley. Conor Cahalane’s movement for his goal for Cork against Clare was a very Kevin Maggs crash ball rugby style move.

You fucking weirdo

Poor Liam Griffin had the best of intentions when he got involved with the CPA that time who proposed the Split Season.

Little did he know that it would effectively end hurling as a pastime in Wexford within 4 years.

4 Likes

I’m not so sure anymore. Kilkenny haven’t won one since 2015, Cork since 2005 and Tipp are usually just picking one or two every decade now. It’s actually far more open these days. I think the days of the Big 3 hoovering up 75%+ of All-Ireland’s in hurling are a thing of the past.

1 Like

Definition of madness. They’ll be kicking off the 6-week clay court style club hurling season all over again shortly. We might uncover some lad this June who’ll fit seamlessly into our Joe McDonagh Cup squad next spring.

Which will be over first? Wimbledon or the wexford club hurling championship?

Joe McDonagh does offer entry into the preliminary All-Ireland quarter-finals to be fair. We could end up being paired off against the 3rd placed team in Leinster (Dublin) and staging a Laois 2019 style coup at home in front of a raucous crowd. Technically we could still be playing an All-Ireland quarter-final in Thurles next June.

I also hate to alarm you but it’s just come to my attention that the Wexford v Kilkenny is not going to be televised on either RTÉ or GAA Go at the weekend.

1 Like

True for you MBB and Tony Kelly is the biggest draw in hurling for the last few years so I guess it made sense to put three of Clare’s games behind a paywall to try and sell subscriptions.

Waterford I believe are adopting the same approach as last year. An 11 week break from exiting the Munster and All Ireland Championship on 13 May before the 6 week mini blitz Club Championship starts on the weekend of 29/30 July.

Cracking post. The main protagonists on TFK against the split season are the casual armchair/bandwagon sportsfan. The restructure of the season has eaten into them following their other sports. @ChairmanDan is unable to balance following Carlow/Waterford with also trying keep up with Spurs, Preston, the cricket season and rugby.

@BruidheanChaorthainn is more interested in some final in a secondary rugby club competition rather than a knockout game involving Limerick this weekend.

@peddlerscross would rather spend the early part of the year attending association football games and race meetings in the UK.

The new split season has some faults that will no doubt be ironed out but is superior for the grassroots of the association- namely the club player.

11 Likes

I’m a die hard grass roots gaa fan. Split season zealots love to try and dismiss people who disagree with them by saying their arm chairs fans or they don’t like club games or whatever else.

You can keep trying it won’t work.