Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Why are you waiting until august? So you deliberately clash with the junior soccer and rugby season?

We’ve been playing club championship on the August weekend for as long as I can remember. Halcyon days in my youth where we’d get the game fixed for the Friday evening, then all pile into cars afterwards and head straight to Dingle.

3 Likes

We’d a champ game fixed for the Friday of the May bank holiday years ago against our neighbours. Bet them with our caps cc: @Fagan_ODowd.
Was a phenomenal weekend. Cc: @Fat_Pox

3 Likes

08 :cry:

1 Like

Doesn’t feel that long ago.

Split season madness

GAAGO: Pittsburgh Steelers gridiron pre-season games :white_check_mark:

GAAGO: Wexford v Kilkenny All Ireland hurling championship :x:

:joy::joy::joy:

You literally could not make it up.

9 Likes

Breheny is getting awful stick on twitter off Kev and a few other accounts but his solution is the exact same as most rationale thinkers like myself. Bring the all Ireland hurling final to august bank holiday and football two weeks later.

I have totally forgotten about inter county action already. 2 cracking weekends of hurling action in Cork last weekend and this weekend. I suppose if it was 2 weekends of football action I wouldn’t be as enthusiastic but hurling only weekends are brilliant.

2 Likes

I saw this comment earlier and thought it was some joke that I didn’t get. I’ve only just seen the article there now on the Examiner.

W.T. Actual Fuck? :laughing:

Good man Kevin

Cracker last night in Cork anyway. Great to see club hurling in summer.

Cracking evening for some club action.

Hopefully everyone gets home safe and sound.

Blaming the split season for the weather now is some stretch :grin:

JJ Kennedy makes minced meat of Martin “top ten” Breheny in this weeks Nationalist:

“Of course, if some people had their way the clubs would still be idle – and would likely remain so until October. The hankering after the old order of September All-Irelands is loud and insistent among a certain cohort of pundits and journalists, especially those operating on the national stage.

They have short memories. For decades the hue and cry was rightly focused on the plight of the club. Despite catering for around 97% of the playing population the club scene was being corralled into an ever-decreasing space where the inter-county game was king. Club games were fitted in like an inconvenience wherever a space existed. Games were sporadic and planning for them was impossible. The club scene was a mess.

Thankfully, like a silver lining on a very dark cloud, Covid supplied the solution. An emergency situation decreed that the club and county seasons had to be split and, lo and behold, people suddenly realised that the solution to the clubs’ woes was in plain sight all along. Now, however, after just a few years of the new model some want to drag us back into the dark ages again.

*Martin Breheny has been a cheerleader of this movement, recently citing a ‘Sunday Independent’ survey as if it was a referendum on the issue. According to the sub heading the poll ‘proves’ that the public at large wants to go back to September All-Irelands. When did a snapshot survey on anything ever provide proof? *

The argument is that the GAA cedes publicity to other sports in mid-summer. It’s as if the games suddenly disappear from view once the All-Irelands are over. Well, last Sunday we had the Wexford hurling final on TG4 and reams of newsprint devoted to club action countrywide. Various streaming services brought games galore to the public while thousands more attended matches live. Yet all this appears to bypass some people.

Maybe Messrs Breheny and company should get out more and see what’s really happening.”

4 Likes

JJK is top notch. And fearless.

3 Likes

There was already a split season before Covid.

If that little cement block of a man said ‘oranges’, everyone else should say ‘apples’. He is such an idiot that he gave years, post coffee with Seán Kelly, saying: ‘The GAA is not in competition with rugby and soccer.’ Now he is saying, 20 years on, the exact opposite – without even realizing the contradiction.

1 Like