Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Just not for me. Always felt they encourage elitism. Who gives a hoot if cuala can beat ballygunnar or na piarisgh.

1 Like

Ballygunnar are here to stay but Cuala came and went, so did Portumna, so will NAP, Ballyhale will come back to the back yet.

It’s only a small percentage of clubs that generally get a team or two in a lifetime and must try to make hay with them.

Everybody has to give up something to make it work anyway. Only so many weeks in a calendar

They’ve given us the ultimate giant killing back in 2018 when Mullinalaghta with a ridiculous golden generation relative to size ousted super club Kilmacud* who probably have about 300 teams.

1 Like

Little old Kilcoo beating Kilmacud Crokes* in the final was an even bigger deal except the sheep farmers weren’t invited onto The Late Late Show.

Well your solution is up there with the worst if that’s the case.

I’d actually argue the club championships are too elongated but they have to allow for the dual clubs like Slaughtneil.

If only you didn’t support an idea where the senior inter county teams got from December until July. We might actually have some room for these other ideas of yours.

Run them January to paddy’s day. No harm to have our national games showcased on paddy’s day.

Ah Kilcoo must have 4 times the population of Mullinalaghta. Still a fabulous achievement for a smallish parish but Mullinalaghta was just incredible stuff. I knew one of the players on their panel and was astonished when he won a Leinster Club title and that he stepped on the same pitch as Paul Mannion et all. They basically eked the most out of every player in the club.

Look, the whole thing is solved when they put it all back 3 weeks. You’re overthinking and over complicating this.

I dunno how you think it’s fair giving the Clubs even less time.

It would be a total disaster as you’d have a mass exodus for the majority of the summer.

We have been down this rabbit hole before.

The same % of young lads and girls go to the USA every summer no matter what. Fair play to them, it’s a great experience and gets a lot of the travel bugs out of their system.

If you put it back two weeks then you give them time to get back for round 1 or 2.

1 Like

The fellas here giving out about club championship in August surprise me. I always remember club championship in August. I wouldn’t be against club championship starting week after August bank holiday to be fair.

1 Like

To be fair mate 90% of clubs in Tipp don’t care about football.

The problem is the all Ireland hurling & football finals done in July.

They should be in august with competing counties granted a bye in the provincial club competitions. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Agreed mate, it’s not rocket science.

3 Likes

And finally, Ger Gilroy and all these weirdos on OTB should have no opinion on this when a couple of players miss round 1/2 of the leagues because they have an all Ireland club final.

If they are good enough, they’ll make the county team.

1 Like

But, but, but the Football Championship is now dictated by your finishing position in the League so Counties wont agree to play NFL without key men going forward.

The obvious solution is to play the Club Finals somewhere around Feb 14th with League starting a week or two later running right through to May Bank Holiday weekend as was tradition…

Then a greatly reduced Championship programme of games without these ridiculous round robins… if only there was a structure there from 2002 to 2017 that worked quite well…

4 Likes

Agree on that too.

But you’re talking absolute shite.

You were claiming I had no interest in club gaa a few months ago.

What in the name of Jesus is the point of a club championship starting in late august?

Why would anybody stick around training for that ?

You seem to have no idea that club players want a proper season like they have in junior rugby or soccer. That’s what will keep people engaged and help grow clubs.

All over the country this weekend it’s the same story. Clubs missing a whole host of club players. Your split season was a stupid idea. Extending the most boring inter county championships of all time by another month won’t do anything only make the club championships completely pointless.