Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Nothing at all but football is played in a lot more counties than hurling.

Hurling is a niche sport and it’s going to become even more niche the way things are going.

I hope you don’t go around being so constantly negative in real life. It would be exhausting.

1 Like

That’s an unbelievable pig of a system.

It will be interesting to see if RTE show any Club Matches (good wholesome content cc @Cheasty ) this Autumn with the Rugby Football World Cup taking precedence.

Is what you mean not as follows? The mediocre football-orientated counties are a bit better in general football terms than the mediocre hurling-orientated counties are in general hurling terms? And how significant or important a factor is this reality?

A bit convoluted… And you would still have the provincial ‘unfairness’ factor.

You would keep the league?

It’s also hilarious to see lads claim the inter county game and the media around it have little impact on the sport.

Remarkable how Limerick becoming one of the most dominant hurling teams of all time coincided with the explosion of club membership in the country, attendances at clubs games and player participation at underage.

I would - from early jan to paddy’s day.

Why?

Secondary competition to allow sides to ramp up and blood new players.

1 Like

There is absolutely no need for an Inter County League to begin before mid-February.

Anything earlier is only bringing the Inter County Training in the Autumn earlier and earlier.

As it is, there will be I/C Teams going back training for next year by mid Oct. Its a joke.

1 Like

They really just need to get rid of the league.

No they should keep the League but scrap the Provincial Round Robins and go back to the 2002-2017 format.

The League could and should be a great competition.

I dunno… Structures badly need a serious overhaul. Best will in the world, I cannot see that hurling in January is part of a good answer.

1 Like

Every club is different but in a lot of rural areas the club league is rather pointless. There’s simply too many players missing particular over the summer months. The focus is solely on a 4 or 5 game championship run off between august and September.

It just isn’t good for the development of hurling in areas nor is it good for the development of players.

January should be for Fitzgibbon Cup and the latter part of the Club Championship.

2 Likes

The league is pointless.

You can’t expect to see the quality on display during championship without a secondary competition.

How would new players be blooded and integrated into a team? Doing away with the league would just lead to more challenge matches. May aswell let teams develop within a semi-competitive environment. It’s also all part of the enjoyment as a spectator.

3 Likes

As matters stand in current context, yes. The whole season structure needs to be examined and not just a bit here and there.

I am not an advocate per se of the so called ‘split season’. But I am a realist about the dynamics that brought about the alteration.

The BOICMC needs to be protected - but the League doesn’t have to be a sacrificial lamb for it.