Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I’d love to slow down the professionalism of the GAA but Dublin, Kerry and limerick hurlers have brought it on so far.

Well you really shouldn’t have supported the split season then.

2018 Leinster hurling final had 40k at it. 2023 final had just over 24k at it.

Around a 40 percent decrease in attendance in five years.

That is a major worry for hurling.

Even if you make slightly more revenue with all these extra games, when you take things in the round you’re harming yourself because rather than providing a product that people genuinely want to see you’re bloating everything out for €€€€€€€ and in reality harming the actual competition. If people don’t enjoy what they’re being served up they’re unlikely to want to attend in increased numbers the following year and a rot sets in, or deepens.

Look at the live TV football games we were served up up to the end of the round robin.
Mayo v Roscommon - poor fare in front of a poor crowd on a rainy day
Tyrone v Monaghan - an excellent game but crowd wasn’t great
Roscommon v Galway - not too bad, decent crowd to be fair
Galway v Sligo - a rainy cremation
Kerry v Clare - tumbleweed
Dublin v Louth - pointless
Derry v Armagh - the one game that properly delivered, God bless the Ulster Final
Donegal v Derry - not the worst game but you’d get much bigger crowds at a league game
Tyrone v Armagh - a trotting tour of a half full Omagh
Mayo v Louth - a walking tour of Castlebar
Galway v Armagh - 6k there for the big rematch

GAAGO offered us as feature games:
Cavan v Armagh - yawn
Galway v Tyrone - meh
Kildare v Dublin - zzzzz

Some of amount of bloating there.

1 Like

There’s something about Galway v Kilkenny as a pairing that just isn’t box office, no matter how much Cody tried to make it so last year.

Galway support has always been very dependent on there being a buzz, a genuine expectation of winning the All-Ireland. That’s gone now. Kilkenny support has never been big and even after eight years that support still appears fairly sated, satisfied for a bit more hunger to build up.

I don’t know is it the colours. Maroon v black and amber. It’s not a very appetising clash.

It’s definitely the geographical separation. It’s definitely the cavernous venue they have to play in every time they meet in a Leinster final. There’s familiarity because they play each other a lot now but it doesn’t really breed contempt, just tiredness. Even if this year’s game was actually pretty exciting. Another Galway v Kilkenny Leinster final in Croke Park. I say it to myself like Ted Crilly looking forward to Father Stone’s annual visit, and it seems a lot of people are the same. The seagulls love it, to be fair.

1 Like

I dont think Galway as a Hurling county, really works unless they are playing Tipperary.

Then again, does Hurling as a sport really work unless Tipperary are playing? Probably not.

1 Like

It’s mainly against Tipperary that Galway have found a role and a relevance as a hurling county. Since 1987 it’s historically an incredibly even rivalry. When I think of Galway in Croke Park I think of Tipperary.

It doesn’t matter how many times Galway beat Cork in the non-All-Ireland final games, I’ll always think of them as Cork’s patsies.

Offaly v Galway is the only other rivalry I feel Galway sit comfortably in.

1 Like

Ultimately how many rivalries in Hurling have relevance without Tipperary?

Kilkenny v Wexford, Cork v Waterford, Limerick v Clare.

Tipperary is essentially the bind that holds Hurling together.

Tipp are like the bird in the nite club that everyone has shifted at some stage

4 Likes

Cork v Limerick is a rivalry around north cork and south limerick.

It think it is something that would work in Tullamore or Portlaoise. Soulless elsewhere…

Cahair is putting in a Tour De France this week cc @Cheasty

In the same way Melbourne has Docklands Stadium, Dublin could seriously do with a 30-35k GAA stadium in a nice area. Would be way better money spent than Casement Park. Unfortunately that money is in a different jurisdiction.

A redeveloped RDS of capacity 30-35k with one movable end stand on wheels would be a savage venue for GAA and indeed for anything else. If the GAA win the Euromillions perhaps.

I doubt it is wide enough for GAA so you would need at least two stands on wheels to implement this idea.

Tullamore is THE venue for Galway vs Kilkenny since that drawn game in 2014. Whenever I think of this tie that occasion always comes straight to mind.

Both O’Connor & O’Moore Parks are around the 20k mark, if one of them was around the 30k it would be ideal.

1 Like

Why not Nowlan Park and Pearse stadium? Home and away like Munster have?

1 Like

Have you seen the crowds that turn up to Nowlan Park and Pearse Stadium for Round Robin games?

Sure a shit crowd goes to Croke park

Great weekend of club hurling action in Cork this weekend. Can’t wait

3 Likes

Would there anything to be said for an open draw with two groups, but still call one group ‘The Munster Championship’ and another group ‘The Leinster Championship’, still play for the same cup and so on? Sure Galway were in Munster for a bit and are now in Leinster.