Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

No. You still have the same problem in that nobody wants to watch Limerick vs Dublin or Cork vs Westmeath.

The only alternative I’ve seen that’s intriguing, I think @Fagan_ODowd might have suggested it, is a Western vs Eastern conference, where you basically swap Galway & Waterford. You would probably end up with even more lopsided groups strength wise, but you would end up with more local derbies.

1 Like

No matter what they do it won’t work until the county game becomes a representative game again.

The counties have turned into clubs and that’s detrimental to the actual clubs.

The clubs should actually have the inter county season from Jan to July.

The inter county game should go back to what it was always meant to be. We saw when the provinces became clubs in rugby it created a total disconnect with the rugby clubs and what happened for a finish is they cut all ties.

The same will happen in the gaa. Not for 10-15 years but eventually the clubs will say enough is enough and they’ll play their championships without the inter county players.

Who knows will it work or what will the impacts be but it will happen. You see the counties will start building proper academies going forward too and that will create an even greater divide With the clubs.

I know of a well known county player who has put off surgery against his county manager’s wishes to play for his club. I think you under estimate how much the majority of county players want to play for their clubs.

2 Likes

Newtown were always brilliant that way.

You are talking about the now. I’m talking about the future.

There is no positive in lads putting off surgery either to play games.

Their is if he helps his club avoid relegation.

It’s amazing the cork boys love their clubs so much they all took off for America for the summer after cork got knocked out of the championship as opposed to playing the club league.

Didn’t a few miss the first rounds of championship?

That’s fair bitter out of you. What business of yours is it what lads playing an amateur sport do in their free time?

1 Like

Cork lads have claimed heading to states for the summer is against the spirit of the split season.

I have little issue with it and instead of arranging championships games in august I’d organise them for April/may time to allow more to travel in the summer.

None of them missed a round.

So you’re saying those lads got to fully focus on the county, then have a month hurling in America and then come home and be fully focused on club?

This has to stop.

3 Likes

They could have three months in America or whoever they want if it wasn’t for the split season.

Are you sure none of them missed a round??

Madness Ted,when will someone shout stop.How dare these lads have a life.

What glorious weather today for the first Sunday of September. What a day it would be to be playing the All Ireland Hurling Final.

@Cheasty, throw up a list there maybe of All Ireland Hurling Finals played on on 3 September. I know the Thunder and Lightening Final was played on 3 September 1939.

1 Like

2017 was the last one anyway played on September 3rd.

What a spectacle that was. I remember TDB winning a free under the Cusack Stand in the dying minutes as Waterford chased a late goal, and thinking to myself, drink this in as you’ll never anything like it again.

That September sun was simply incredible.

2 Likes

1961 Tipperary v Dublin
1967 Kilkenny v Tipperary
1972 Kilkenny v Cork
1978 Cork v Kilkenny
1989 Tipperary v Antrim
1995 Clare v Offaly
2006 Kilkenny v Cork
2017 Galway v Waterford

2 Likes

I’ll have to start a victims of the split season as the injuries begin to pile up.

Another horrendous impact of the professionalism of the inter county scene is you can clearly see the county players are trained to peak in June and July and not this time of the year.

Pulled Calfs and hamstrings being the order of the week.

Clubs out again mid week in Limerick as they desperately squash the mini blitz’s that are the football and hurling club championships in to the last few weeks of the season.

The total disregard and lack of respect for the club player is something to behold.

Rip dual players.

Rip dual Clubs.

If only we could find a few weeks from April to July to play a few club championship games and lighten the load on players.

2017 was a woeful game only for Joe canning getting his much deserved all Ireland.

Waterford never through the shackles and actually hurled. It was pure constipated stuff. Galway who definitely deserved one were lucky on the day.

There was some go for tickets before the game.

That’s some list. It’s probably fair to say that 3 September has seen more epic and landmark finals than any other date in the old century long final rota of dates 1-7 September?