Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Totally disagree.

2017 was the best AI Final since 2014 bar maybe 2022.

2018 was absolutey horrendous stuff, 2019 was a wipeout, the Covid years dont count, and this year another wipeout.

2015 was shit too and 2016 another wipeout.

2017 was crap. Waterford gave it no go at all.

With about 20 minutes to go it was there for them and they stuck to that defensive rubbish.

Possibly. Myself and @peddlerscross have said that the optimum date for an All-Ireland football final is September 17th so that would put the optimum date for an All-ireland hurling final at September 3rd.

Cork completed their four in a row in 1944 on September 3rd too, as they did the three in a row in 1978 (but not 2006). 1972 I think was a very good final. Tipp beating Kilkenny in 1950 by one point also worthy of mention.

Some of the best finals fall outside the September 1-7 rota for one reason or another.

1956 which might well be the most landmark final of all was on September 23rd because of a polio outbreak in Cork I believe.

From 1997 to 2005 inclusive the finals were on the second Sunday of September and then again in 2012 and 2013.

September 1st is probably my favourite date for a sporting event, it always seems to deliver. It has historically been a great date for Leinster teams in All-Ireland hurling finals. Tipperary in 1991 the only team in the last 70 years to break the cycle of Leinster victories.

Quite fond of September 2nd as a date for a big sporting event too, especially an All-Ireland hurling final.

2 Likes

September 1st 2001 was the day we beat the Dutch at Lansdowne Road wasnt it?

Kerry v Dublin 2013 too.

1 Like

All of the following were September 1st.

Wexford v Tipperary 1968
Wexford v Limerick 1996
Ireland 2 Yugoslavia 1 1999
Ireland 1 Holland 0 2001
Armagh v Dublin 2002
Dublin v Kerry 2013
Dublin v Kerry draw 2019

1 Like

Cracking club action in Cork today. The famed Glen Rovers in a relegation final. You couldn’t make it up.

Club season coming to the boil nicely in most counties atm.A bumper few weeks coming up.

It started a month ago and it’s over for many clubs already.

That’s not coming to the boil.

It’s called a blitz.

2,400 at the Fossa game yesterday. Would they get that crowd in October/November? I doubt it.

2 Likes

Then they aren’t proper GAA people, only bandwagoners.

Well I did go to see Clifford in a club game last year so some bandwagoners no doubt.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2023/0905/1403501-gaa-to-decide-on-august-all-ireland-football-final/

They’ve realised they’ve made a fuck of the whole thing, but don’t have a clue how to fix it.

1 Like

Very embarrassing.

They sold out castlemahons home Ground a week before December last year when they played for fossa.

They actually had to ask people to not turn up the morning of the game.

You truly are clutching at straws.

You’ve destroyed the inter county game and turned the club game into a glorified blitz.

The lads thought croke park cared about the club game and that was the reason for the split season :joy:

Next year the inter county season will start in December and finish in august.

We’ll be starting our club championships under lights next September.

I know someone who used to work in Croke Park, and she said they used openly laugh up there about the AIB ‘The Toughest’ campaign/slogan.

People genuinely thought All Ireland Final’s in July were a long term strategy - it was set up to fail from the start.

I have destroyed the inter county and club game? I am some man.

Either the league goes or the round robin goes and some respect given to the club championships.

8 months it takes them to run of the worst inter county championships of all time.

Who’ll actually be competitive in hurling next year? Limerick, Clare and maybe cork.

Kilkenny will regress with the retirements and Galway are done.

The Dublin hurlers are going nowhere.

If you joined Wexford and Offaly up you wouldn’t have a decent team.

Antrim are gone.

Eight months it takes to run off a tournament with about seven teams in it.

Excellent club championships around the country then run off in a few weeks in the fading light.

It’s a total joke.

Melting Stop Motion GIF by John Larigakis

So you want the inter county season to end in June?