Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

This Dairygold Cup is some cod.

Limerick are playing Clare in it next week on an Astro Turf.

1 Like

What’s the spread?

1 Like

Sure look how seriously cork are taking it.

I was at under 18 league games in Cork last year minus Cork under 17 players and they worked fine. At least clubs have their county minors from June on these days. Under the previous system it could be September before they say them.

Well that’s a load of lies anyway.

How is that lies? County minor team reached All Ireland final in September, clubs would not see them until after this.

That’s a load of lies.

Minors invariably played their first game in April pre the exam break. In the old system it might have taken 5 games to win the final in the middle September.

There might be a game or two refixed but that it’s at the very most.

Dunno how anybody thinks the current system is good for developing of your average club player given how little hurling is being played over the course of the year.

Always found With the old minor grade things were perfect from Feb to the exam break. Even if lads were losing interest it was a great break from Study to go training.

Post exams it was a struggle. Fellas getting their first job, holidays and just losing interest a little too in the summer.

The numbers would pick up again in September when schools and colleges went back.

It’s no easy fix and the dynamics of every club is different but the old minor system was fairly good. Games were Friday evenings too and usually the county minor games were Wednesday night or before the senior game so it rarely had much impact on the club schedule.

The inter county players have it seriously good nowadays with a guarantee off 4 games but that’s a
Small bunch of the elite players. I don’t think the system is as good for the standard club player nowadays. I guess time will tell.

When Limerick reached All Ireland minor final was it 2015? I doubt their clubs saw them until after September.

Why not?

County teams do not realise players to play for their clubs

That’s a load of rubbish anyway. There was never any issue in Limerick like that. One or two games changed around maybe.

If I recall correctly we might have played a game of football or two coming into the hurling final to ease the fixture congestion but that was the height of it. Minor players were always available when they needed to be available.

I was at the minor final in 2015. Galway beat Tipp. I’d say it’s 2014 that you’re thinking of when Kilkenny beat Limerick. A Tom Morrissey inspired Ahane beat NaP in the Limerick minor final that year on the 21st December.

No it’s 2016. Limerick lost to Kilkenny wasn’t it. Kyle was full forward.

Lost to Liam Cahill’s all conquering Tipp team who subsequently won the last U21 final against Cork in 2018 when they were all still U20.

Jesus my memory is going to shit

Obviously loads of minor club championship games played in summer in Limerick that year.

I wasn’t directly involved in 2014 but if I recall correctly there some sort of objection or something of that ilk. I remember one semi final being played in early October anyway. Then there was a two month hold up.

There was absolutely no issue every with minors being “released” back then.

You just made it up.

Just like you made it up about journalists losing money due to the split season. Even though there’s a longer season and more games so they definitely aren’t losing out.

They worked out great for us this year and far better than players sitting idle while inter county minor championships are played off.

1 Like

If your a rural Club U19 team that is barely able to field 15 at the best of times, then taking out your one or two County men is a fatal blow for a league to be a success.