Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

So the demise of Leitrim hurling is due the split season? That is some nonsense narrative to be peddling.

2 Likes

https://x.com/faireland/status/1723298627441889286?s=46

This some success story. The gaa could definitely take note and aim to sell out all four all Ireland semi finals.

The GAA were averaging over 70k in 2017 at All Ireland Semi Finals until they decided to fuck the whole thing up.

2 Likes

https://x.com/conorwhelan10/status/1722941183666667533?s=46

The split season being absolutely filleted on the Premier Sports Radio Show in the country on Tipp Mid West Radio this morning.

What a shambles it is.

Who’s on? Stevie, the PRO and JJ.

Stevie and West PRO.

Its completely destroyed underage GAA, with no Club U17/19/21 activity from January to July each year.

Its utterly absurd.

3 Likes

I must listen back. PRO hasn’t been well over Christmas. Laid low with a chest infection and potential COVID so tolerance levels would be at an all time low. Did Stevie sense this and poke the bear so to speak?

Yes Stevie was on the wind up.

Stevie is probably the closest thing this country has to Bill O’Herlihy as a broadcaster nowadays. He should be doing The Sunday Game.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I’m being serious.

He’d do a way better job than Joanne Cantwell anyway.

Very affable and is great friends with Marty Morrissey which would help the dynamic of the show.

Anyway back to the split season. A prominent GAA Official used the phrase ‘icy ground’ when discussing this over Christmas.

It has not been lost on people the absurdity of a Club All Ireland Semi Final being decided on a Penalty Shootout at 10pm the Saturday night before Christmas in front of a handful of spectator’s.

All just so Dessie Hutchinson and Peter Hogan could be available for selection for a Dairygold Cup match on the first week in January.

1 Like

Any more absurd than playing the finals of the years club championships in March of the year after? The anti Split seasoners have no answers, only complaints.

1 Like

It was far less absurd.

I would however be willing for a compromise and follow the 2021/22 model of having the Club Semi Finals at the end of January woth the Final in mid February.

But but but of couse we need everyone available for the Inter County teams Dairygold Cup endeavours.

https://twitter.com/JohnFogartyIrl/status/1743303596853080330

An experiment that went horribly wrong cc @Bandage

I’d severely doubt that.

The gaa calendar is tricky but most actual gaa fans associated our national day with the finals of our national games.

Nothing absurd about that.

As example playing inter county games this week is absolutely absurd.

Poor weekend of sport saved by the Kilmacud Crokes v Glen game. Great move by the GAA moving these games from mid February when this game would be up against the hurling and football leagues. Centre of attention this weekend.

3 Likes

So there[quote=“peddlerscross, post:5600, topic:33660, full:true”]
Stevie and West PRO.

Its completely destroyed underage GAA, with no Club U17/19/21 activity from January to July each year.

Its utterly absurd.
[/quote]

So their is club league activity until July? Lies, lies and more lies.

I had it exclusively revealed to me two evenings ago in O’Connell’s pub in Eyre Square by somebody who presumably is a poster here that the clay court style club championship calendar in Wexford was done.

1 Like

Club Leagues at U17/19 minus County players simply do not work.

It’s utter insanity. When you have the Waterford hurlers travelling down to Tralee to play Kerry in the first Tuesday night of the year in January, the game is gone. It’s a summer sport and now it’s evolved to a state of affairs where January and February, the two worst months of the year, weather wise are the two months with the highest concentration of inter-county games.

3 Likes