Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Of all the myths associated with the GAA I’d say that is the biggest one. It’s a figure I’ve heard plenty of times before but it is completely wrong. Il be in Croke Park this Saturday along with maybe 12k others. Tickets cost €25. The only stand open will be the Hogan. The idea that this game will see Croke Park lose €25 x 18k = €450k is clearly for the birds.

5 Likes

where did you that figure from?

agreed

Someone from Croke Park debunked that myth a few years ago

Fixed costs/stepped costs/variable costs are a mystery to the non-financial types.

1 Like

@peddlerscross did you see none of the Kilkenny under 21 winning teams from a couple of years ago started v Limerick.

Most unusual.

Was this the 2022 U20 winning team?

I don’t think any of them are much good so hardly that surprising.

That u20 Final in Thurles was really, really poor stuff.

1 Like

Limerick arguably would have won that AI if CON was allowed to play.

Ridiclious rule. Kilkenny were decent on the day in fairness. Billy Drennan was their stand out player.

There isnt many of that Limerick u20’s team starting with Limericks seniors either. They need to scrap u17 and u20’s and put it back to u18 and u21.

The under 21s championship was an excellent championship 10 years ago when it was knockout.

7 Likes

They? Don’t you mean you? Get organised and sort it out.

‘They’ are only people.

I wouldnt have any say mate whatsoever.

For player development though and succession into the senior teams, 21’s worked far better in general in my opinion.

That 30k attendance myth was made up by Croke Park themselves when it suited them not to open up for the likes of the Christy Ring final.

That figure is based on absolutely everything being opened inside I’d say which when you have 30k attending clearly won’t be the case

1 Like

But no one does until they do something

The u21 championship knockout games played KO on Wednesday evenings were absolutely BOX OFFICE.

4 Likes

Limerick v Tipp in 2015 was a Wednesday night in the gaelic grounds. It was an unreal game. Early Cian Lynch goal after 15 seconds, Tipp came roaring back into it then. Was back and forth throughout. Arguably was Limericks toughest game in that championship.

Hego was named at wing back. I remember there was a few eyebrows raised at the time. He fairly shut those doubters up. Junior hurler schtick etc

1 Like

That was a great match. U21 was classic. The 2011 Munster final. The 2000, 2001 and 2002 Munster finals. And so many others.

2 Likes

The Munster final in Ennis in 2015 was unreal as well. Byrnes lifting the cup there was a big moment for Limerick hurling. Clare were flying it prior to that at u21’s level.

The gaa need to revert back to a knockout u21s championship.

3 Likes

There were tailbacks all the way from Clonoulty into Thurles for that 2002 match.

Must have been 20k at it.

2 Likes

There was something incredible about the fading light when a 21s game went to extra time on a Wednesday evening.

3 Likes

U20’s doesnt have the same feel to it at all. U21’s back then you could have the likes of an Aaron Gillane coming through unheralded until the 2017 u21 championship but ready to make the step up then afterwards. That extra year is crucial for most lads.

2 Likes

Even the Football was a big deal.

Tipperary v Tyrone in 2015 was absolutely BOX OFFICE.

No one even knows what the story is with that Championship any more.