Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

It means that inter county players prefer to play games in Croke Park.

It’s a little treat.

A home semi is too tangible a benefit. Anyway imagine if Wexford won a Leinster and ended up playing Cork or Limerick in a semi. Square that one for me . Do you think the gaa are going to leave that money behind them?

What’s the break even figure for croke park? People will start voting with their feet soon enough if they aren’t careful.

In or around 30k

Even in the home province would be ideal like the Heineken cup.

In 2018, Limerick and Cork brought 70k to Croker. In 19 against kk , there was 55k there in 22 and 59k last year. Tipp and Wexford attracted 63k in 19 also

Who is the GAA?

Are they different now than when we were chaps?

The GAA. It’s just people really. The people in the GAA won’t leave that money behind them because well it’s needed to keep the thing going.

It surely depends on ticket prices?

When you have a county like Limerick deprived of success for years, they won’t give a fiddlers about prices. If you were to believe everything you hear, Clare are on the verge of taking over the realm and dominating for the next decade or so. Do you think their support will care what they’ll fork out if they get to an AIF. You could nearly throw Cork into the same mix at this stage. The only way they might even look at reducing pricing is if/when the likes of Tipp/kilkenny start to dominate again and couldn’t be arsed

1 Like

Break even figure is a calculation.

Fuck Tipp.

The Leinster champions could play in Croke Park so.

They could but I had a reason for thinking it was a bad idea but I can’t think of it now.

I do find the Saturday all Ireland semi final a bit soulless.

It might be the first time you play there.

From the players I know, it’s less Croke Park they like playing in and more the big games.

Very few want to play in an empty Croke Park.

A home quarter-final for the defeated provincial finalists is a complete no-brainer. These games aren’t played in Croke Park as it is so you’re not losing out on corporate revenue.

That double header in Limerick last year was grim, grim, grim.

I’ve no problem with defeated finalists getting a home quarter but again you will have capacity issues in the likes of Salthill, Wexford park, Walsh path , Ennis and even Nowllan park depending on what teams lose their provincial final

How many white elephant stadiums does the gga need?

A 40k stadium used once a year?

1 Like

It costs the gga 1m to hold a match at archbishop croke park? What are the costs involved?

They need an attendance of roughly 30k to break even. After that I don’t know

You’d fill or go close to filling a lot of these grounds which is the point. People don’t attend these games in numbers at neutral venues. These counties already play at home in the provincial round robins.

Walsh Park and Wexford Park are the only grounds where demand might outstrip supply. And so what if demand outstrips supply? That’s what you want, because it makes for a good television spectacle and it creates a buzz about a game in and of itself.

You create more of a buzz in the away county too because going into an opponent’s backyard in knockout play is more of a challenge than going to a sparsely attended neutral venue.

2 Likes

It was said on dalos podder last year, league winners get a bye into the prelim qfs instead of the Joe mc runners up. Not the worst suggestion, if the league winners already qualify then have a play off between the 4th place teams

1 Like