Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Different times though I think? I have a childhood memory of watching both games that Sunday. Brazil v Germany was over in time for throw in between Waterford and Tipp. The time difference with Japan being a helpful factor in that regard.

The 2010 World Cup was on the night out the infamous Meath v Louth Leinster football final.

Cork and Waterford drew the same day in Munster thanks to Tony browne’s late equaliser.

Finally the penny seems to be dropping with fellas.

I’ve been beating this drum for about 5 years now.

3 Likes

2014 Munster final was the day as the Argentina v Germany game.

I watched the extra time in the icon.

1 Like

This is down to S+C not the quality of hurler being produced.

1 Like

The step from under 17s to senior is far too great and loads of players are being completely lost bar in the the counties who can afford to fund huge development squads.

It’s a crying shame what’s been allowed happen for no reason.

I called it out from day one and took plenty of very personal stick but it’s beginning to dawn on people now what a shambles of an idea it’s been.

Shame on those who supported it because it suited them and didn’t look at the bigger picture.

2 Likes

The gaa are considering moving the Clare v Limerick game to 9 am because it’s clashing with a big epl game that day.

4 Likes

It only occurred to me to check Wexford’s fixtures now & I think the only round robin game I’ll be able to make is Galway at home. I see our last game in Kilkenny is potentially being televised but is there a list of the GoGoTV games? Last year they didn’t even bother streaming a few of the Wexford matches, the GAA instead showing Pittsburgh Steelers pre-season games on their app offering.

5 Likes

There is no Joe Canning, Richie Hogan, Patrick Horgan, Noel McGrath, Tony Kelly or Austin Gleeson coming through now.

1 Like

Thought we were gonna get mauled after the Westmeath fuck up, sure it was due to be on the telly live. Turned out to be the best game of the championship.

1 Like

Yep because the split season has turned the whole thing into a marathon and not a sprint. It’s about stamina and not skill.

It’s so sad this has been allowed happen.

@peddlerscross should be running the GAA.

3 Likes

Microwave championships is a good way of putting it.

It is mindblowing that the most condensed months of the year for players with matches are between January and April in the shit.

We get a few proper months of good weather in this country and neither the clubs nor the intercounty teams are able to fully avail of the peaks of June and July. It’s insanity.
In Cork last year June and July consisted of training sessions, and club challenge and league matches. There were only 7 AI SHC games to watch in that time, with just 3 in our peak month of July.

8 Likes

You’d some fella claim the club championships are more competitive in January.

That’s how low things have gotten.

1 Like

Corrected

And 4 of those were on two days. So the coverage and discussion is dumbed down.

So basically the Munster hurling final overshadowed the Leinster one even do the Leinster final was a great game.

If they were on separate weekends it would be a huge boost to hurling.

1 Like

Waterford have exited the hurling Championship last 2 years in mid May. There then followed an 11 week lay off before the 6 week microwave Waterford Club Championships got underway on the August Bank Holiday weekend.

4 Likes

Playing off the biggest Club Football game of all time in fog so bad you couldnt see one end of the field from the other and then running off the two finals during an Orange Weather Warning.

You couldn’t make it up.

3 Likes

Isn’t young Niland supposed to be the best to come through in Galway since Canning - how many years will it take before he is considered capable of carrying some corner back ape around on his back for 70 minutes at senior intercounty?