Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Niland could play senior next year if Galway flop in 2024. Back in the good old days Niland would be much further down the road to senior inter county as he would have one if not two years with Clarenbridge seniors.
That’s the big difference people do not realise.

The likes of Noel McGrath, Richy Hogan and Joe Canning were dominating club senior games as u16s, now they can’t play until u18, in Cork & Wexford I think it’s u19 which is simply baffling.

This has nothing to do with the split season.

2 Likes

Was hoping for more panache (cc @StoneCold) but the main thrust of the point is there.

So the lads here want the All Ireland finals back to September yet want the inter county season shortened? That would be a hard one for the fixture makers.

2 Likes

Lads in general want it back to what it was back in 2017-19 or that. But want rid of the pre-season tournaments, but have the club season finish in the one year, but have the finals on Paddy’s day.

Mindfuck.

Whats unfolding before our eyes is just nothing short of a tragedy. It’s just desperately sad and depressing and it’s going to lead to huge levels of trauma and mental illness among young people especially.

1 Like

If you got rid of all these ridiculous round robins you’d go a long way to solving the problem.

2 Likes

Literally lads being denied a shot at greatness.

Limerick vs Kilkenny AIQF was on the same day as the 2018 world cup final. I dont remember the world cup final as i was too drunk. Bloody split season

The gaa know full well they are probably wiping 10k off the attendance off the Saturday all Ireland semi final.

Yet had no issue jacking up the all Ireland final ticket to fleece the average supporter and not too long ago for your all Ireland final ticket you got two games too.

It’s pure robbery on their part.

In that case you would have less inter county games than present. Could you imagine the outcry?

I actually don’t mind the Saturday/Sunday all Ireland semi final weekend. Would love to stay up a Saturday if it ever suits or more importantly if Tipp are there but there does need to be a week between both the hurling and football finals.

2 Likes

Less is more.

Less meaningless stuff and more knockout. There are only 5 truly knockout games in the current Hurling Format and 3 of them take place at lunchtime/early afternoon on a Saturday.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

3 Likes

I liked it in 2018 alright but it’s still not a great way to promote the games. Invariably one game gets lost but it mightn’t be the worst thing they’ve come up with.

You need Cork to be involved really.

1 Like

Semi final weekends are the way to go. The semi finals in 18 + 19 were excellent and didn’t compromise each other. A great weekend for hurling neutrals.

There also was the sf replay and sf in 14 which were both iconic games.

2 Likes

2008 a classic of the genre. Leaving Dublin on the Saturday night of the Wexford v Armagh and Kerry v Galway doubleheader I was struck by the amount of Cork supporters who’d made a weekend of it. They had a double header the following day. Quarter-Final v Kildare and the hurling semi-final v Kilkenny. Those exceedingly attractive and random double-headers seem to have been phased out under the current structures.

2 Likes

Cork weren’t involved in 2019.

There was a real Augusty sun to those Football Semi Finals in 2014 and even a 6pm throw in for Kilkenny v Limerick on the last Saturday of July in 2019 had something about it.

But the first Saturday in July is just all kinds of wrong and that 2022 Semi Final between Kilkenny and Clare may as well not have been played at all.

So you don’t enjoy the Munster round robin? I find them great games.

No they are a load of nonsense.

Walking up to the Tipp v Limerick game in Thurles last year, i knew in my heart of hearts it meant absolutely nothing.