Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

and why don’t counties like that embrace the tailteann cup and its predecessor the Tommy Murphy cup? It is just an endless whinge about structures and inequity rather than embrace the competitions that are put in place for them that address that

The GAA have really got in wrong in thinking that the public have the money and the appetite to embrace all these round robin matches in the championship

They also got in wrong in thinking GAA clubs and players actually wanted summer club championship even if clubs and club players were shouting that they did want it

It appears now that the last thing clubs want is June\July clun championship!

2 Likes

What were the stupid choices that took place in those years?
I think that once the counties that actually care about the county team started preparing professionally they pulled away from the rest. Up to the 90s early 00s there wasnt a huge amount different about county prep and and that made it more even. I had friends on county teams around then and they barely saw the inside of a gym. We are 25 years on from that though and time and endless beatings made players and fans in those counties sick of the whole thing.

1 Like

That round robin system in the football championship last year was an absolute belter of an innovation. 5 weeks of the calendar blocked off for the specific purpose of reducing 16 teams down to 12. 24 matches to process the elimination of Westmeath, Clare, Sligo and Louth, who between the 4 of them failed to win any of the 12 round robin games they were involved in.

Are the split season zealots running with their Super 16 round robin ‘champions league’ style group phase again this year? How about even doubling down on it, home and away fixtures in proper champions league style, which would mean 48 games.

1 Like

Agree fully.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1777063798794510474?s=46

The Gaa were lucky they got rid of the April club month. There wouldnt be a pitch available to play a championship match.

That’s a fantastic post.

There wasn’t a single memorable moment from any of the round robin games last year.

Tyrone played Armagh in a Knockout Qualifier in 2022 even and it was a far, far bigger deal than their Super 16’s clash in 2023.

3 Likes

Very few club championship games in June and July.

I think everyone agrees that that a round robin following the provincials is a load of shit.

As far as I can tell, the only reason was done was because of the success of the hurling round robins and ‘football people’ felt they weren’t getting enough of the spotlight. Maybe I’m wrong on that. But why they chose a solution with no stakes, I’m not sure.

Extra matches just for the sake of it is pointless. The reason that the hurling round robin has actually worked, particularly in Munster, is there is a sense of jeopardy right from the very first game.

2 Likes

The most obvious change is to play the Leinster and Munster hurling comps on different weeks as well.

The round robins are over in the middle of may. You’ve only 7 big hurling games then until the middle of July.

You could space the games much better and fairer imo.

Playing two championship games in 6 days never made sense to me. It puts the focus on physicality and the gym as opposed to the skills of the games.

If they alternate the weeks it takes forever - 10 weeks in total.

They should be binned full stop and revert back to the 2002-2017 model.

1 Like

Leinster championship games on stand alone weekends will bring some hype

3 Likes

I actually think the round robins could be great if people went to the only home championship match their favourite team plays in a season.

Nobody even new Kilkenny and Galway was on last year.

Yes and now you want to give them a weekend to themselves

That’s much better than the currently system of a six week blast and then tumble weed.

Yes. So it wouldn’t be overshadowed by Clare and Limerick.

There’s no need to play 4 hurling games one weekend and then barely any for two weeks.

It makes no sense at all.

Unless you want everyone to stop following hurling.

Dublin v Antrim as a stand alone game in Croke Park on a May Bank Holiday Saturday afternoon. Build it and they will come!

5 Likes

Nope you play it on a Saturday evening in Parnell park.