Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Their minors were close to pulling off a win last week v Tipp, 20s well beaten by a strong cork side. Brian Flannery (former Mt Sion/Waterford/Kiladangan player and journalist) said their current minor team has 10 underage next year so maybe that could be a team to prosper.

They have good management teams in place for both teams but their player pool is small.

Yes their player pool is small which is why they are seriously disadvantaged when it comes to longer and more intense seasons.

Any injuries and drop outs means they’ll struggle massively.

That’s one thing we can agree on.

1 Like

When you hear the gahliban saying bogball and spud hockey is competing with other sports what they are actually saying is that diehards uber gaels prefer watching english football over the sports they proclaim to love

That’s a great article. Sums it up really.

The sight of matches being played in half-empty stadiums with spectators wrapped in heavy coats and woolly hats does not make for a great spectacle or good advertisement for the 2024 championship.

The big game of last weekend – the clash of near-neighbours Cavan and Monaghan – was a classic example. It drew a crowd of just over 8,000 people to Clones. The last time these met in the Ulster Championship in 2019, almost 14,000 attended Breffni Park. A red flag there for the GAA powers-that-be.

There will be no interest in gaa in 10 years and no one will be playing it.

1 Like

The lads on here seem to think dwindling attendances and playing numbers is some sort of success.

Dont forget that womens football is getting higher tv figures too

Yes LGFA is getting better and better.

Huh

If the split season was an association football penalty, this is what it would be.

https://twitter.com/TrollFootball/status/1780109773293167079

2 Likes

Real sport mate.

You wouldn’t understand.

Its been an unmitigated disaster and when you now have even the most ardent split season zealots talking about tweaking and pushing it back a few weeks, you know the game is up.

Real Sport is Pro Sports

I love the split season. Had my days getting pissed in Coppers and did i love it but time moves on. I will be flat out going to matches in August, love reading the match reports in the Examiner on a Monday. Its a great time, going to matches in decent weather.

1 Like

The main problem is the gap between the league and championship is too narrow.

Scrap provincial pre season competitions. I know it would be a disappointment to lose the Most Reverend Dr Patrick McKenna cup but needs must.

Start the league in Mid January and finish it by Patricks day. This might help teams actually take the thing seriously instead of training the morning of matches etc.

Start the championship on the May Bank Holiday. This allows the month of April for build up/promotion and maybe to release players to clubs for a round or two of club league action to freshen up.

The hurling championship has a fine structure now but the scheduling is terrible. Maybe play Leinster on a Saturday and Munster on a Sunday and vice versa. Or one match in each province each day.

The football Sweet 16 or whatever it is needs to go and return to the old qualifier format. Lose two matches and you go into the Timbuktu Cup. I don’t think any intercounty side worth it’s salt should be losing two championship games and staying in the race for the top tier.

2 Likes

So what’s wrong with going to club games in may, June and July?

It pissed rain for the majority of the club championship too.

Ah stop.

Spoofers like McCabe wouldn’t hold a candle to Louise Ni Mhuircheartaigh, Aimee Mackin and Valerie Mul.

It pissed rain on AIF day

I do go to club games in May, June and July. Hasnt been club championship games in June and July for years.

I’m merely pointing out it’s nonsensical to use the weather as some plus.

It can rain all day every day in any month of the year in ireland In unfortunately.