Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Oh yeah the split season has very little to do with the travails of Leinster football. In a bygone era that Offaly U20 winning team would translate into a very promising senior team with the likes of Jack Bryant and Cormac Egan leading the charge. I saw The Examiner trying to hype up the victory against Laois as a coming of age performance from them but I’d classify that as hyperbole. I’d love to see the likes of an Offaly come again though.

Kildare didn’t build on the 2018 U20 success thus far. Hopefully the 23’ winning crop develop better. Meath looked to have a great minor team in 2021 when they beat that highly touted Tyrone team but the U20 results since wouldn’t fill you with optimism. They lost to Laois last year for instance.

The age change for u21 and minor is a major factor. It might not seem a lot but from a physical perspective its huge. In the long/medium term young lads lose interest after being moved into senior prematurely and getting their arses handed to them. Its the same in hurling. You’ll get lads disagreeing with me but if cork dont make at least a Munster final and/or an all Ireland semi. you’ll get lads who will unfortunately walk away.

5 Likes

Agree totally.

Its bananas that they won’t change it back.

Just spotted they’re streaming Dublin v Wexford in children’s hurling on Saturday. Make it make sense. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

They’ll probably make the argument that it will flush itself out and even up in a couple of years. But it will be too late by then and young lads will turn to the likes of rugby and soccer. Its just too big a step.
I know we have the bit of banter about Limerick but as a young 20 year old coming up against the likes of hayes or hegarty even if its only a league or pre season game, shur he’d be ate alive.

Very true. The interest levels have decreased significantly too since the change in age grades. Quite a few counties have reverted back to U18 for minor at club level (Wexford, Carlow, Westmeath) this season. The argument that changing minor to U17 avoids a clash with the Leaving Cert is outdated too. The majority of young lads do TY these days so they’re almost 19 by the time they complete the LC. A large number of Leaving Certs actually end up on U20 county panels. Adam Screeney a prime example of this, playing an U20 All-Ireland final just days before his Leaving commenced.

The change is underage grades and the nonsense Sam Maguire round robin are my two main gripes with the current GAA structures.

4 Likes

Young lads are too slow to grow up now but Limerick’s emphasis on building Rubby League players certainly hasn’t helped.

Not many 18 year olds even make an impact in Club Hurling now. When i was in Transition Year in School there were loads of lads breaking onto Club Senior teams in their first year out of U16 and it provided healthy competition among lads to grow up.

Minor is under 18 in Dublin

Whats happening already is that inter county teams are using the new minor and u20 as nothing more than fillers. They’re not really interested in either winning an ai or a provincial championship. They’ll take what they think is prepared to make a commitment, lock em up in a gym for a year and have them train with the seniors. Lads on about Dublin and Limerick having nothing coming through due to the fact that they’re not winning at underage. Give it two years and some of those specimans that we think were a failure at under age will be completely different animals

1 Like

There’ll surely be an Emergency Congress called soon to end this nonsense.

I dont see one single person defending the split season on tfk anymore? Has the tide turned in terms of support for it or are it’s supporters just being battered into submission by the lads incessant hyperbole?

The two lads have nearly 1.5k posts between them on the thread. We simply can’t keep it pucked out to them anymore.

1 Like

It needs to be all put back 2/3 weeks with the all Ireland club finals played off in January/February the following year.

The new February bank holiday could be a niche weekend for the club finals.

The new problem is there are too many games in this silly round robin championship designed by Ger Gilroy and his team on OTB.

The hurling round robins have been a relative success in one sense but we aren’t really getting the best 6 teams left in the championship in the way the old structure generally did.
The Munster championship now has 11 games instead of 4/5 so it’s a huge cash cow that I cannot see the Munster council or GAA relinquishing.

The change in underage grades has been an abomination but the problem is the likes of Kev and his sports science gurus won’t allow 16/17 year olds play adult hurling so we have to keep minor at u17 for rural clubs.

4 Likes

That cash cow can turn into tumble weed very quickly. Irish people

Look at the attendances at Dublin games fall off a cliff.

1 Like

Clare have got their act together at underage so there will always be 4 teams in Munster for the foreseeable. The new system doesn’t suit Waterford who are behind at underage and have a smaller playing pool.

The biggest danger to the current round robin system is if Wexford/Dublin go backwards and Offaly/Laois etc cannot reach the mid tier level.

I don’t think there’s as much resistance to it in hurling and I think that it’s the format in football more so than anything. That said pushing the whole thing back a minimum of two weeks would probably work better. Championship is now competing with the climax of the premiership, European rugby, champions league to name but three. You also have the added problem of aif semi finals and finals being played at peak holiday season thus affecting attendances.

2 Likes

government by OTB

The relentless clamour for champions league formats over the years eventually paid off for those than favour them

3 Likes

any sign of waterford getting their house in order underage?

Nothing wrong with waterfords performances In the last 3 non round Robin all Ireland hurling championships. Two all Ireland finals and one semi final loss to Limerick.

Almost like If it’s not their underage results but more
The semi professional structure of the season where they get stretched resourced wise

I think it is ridiculous playing underage hurling competitions early in shitty weather though. Let the football off that’s only for mullockers anyway.