Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Who actually came up with the football structure?

It was presumably designed to destroy the provincial championships.

Similarly they brought in the Munster round robin shortly after the club month in April which was never going to work and they conned all the club players into supporting the split season.

I can only hope/assume the current football championship was designed to destroy the provinces.

Pat Spillane is a strange one. His club Templenoe competing in Kerry senior club championship. You would think he would be mad looking forward to these games. I know i cant wait for my own club’s championship games. Spillane’s own nephews driving force behind Templenoe. I wouldnt miss my nephew playing a championship game. Very odd.

Whats very odd about giving the club championships a bit of respect?

Spillane is playing down club championship as much as possible.

I wouldn’t have thought so.

I think both are important and both can help each other.

I’ve seen it in Limerick. The increase in crowds after 2018 and participation was huge.

The gaa are creating a runaway way monster where very can compete and it isn’t really easy to follow.

You could argue one way or the other but do you think in ten years time this will still be good for the clubs? I might be good for the super clubs.

We’ll be lucky to have one interesting game a week in June and July. You’ve 3 on at the same time Sunday.

It’s absolutely bizarre.

Cork could be out of the championship on Sunday with both games on gaa go in the middle of April. Do you really think that’s good for cork hurling?

The sporting equivalent of Chief Quimby handing Inspector Gadget messages which would self destruct in five seconds.

Inspector Gadget always threw the message back at Quimby and it would explode in Quimby’s face.

Pat Spillane is from the Temple of NO To The Split Season.

Personally I prefer the comparison to Eastenders changing its theme music to a jazzy abomination, followed by the hasty decision by the BBC to go back to the original theme when the new one instantly became more hated than Robert Thompson and Jon Venables.

He doesn’t mention clubs once in his article

He’s been going on about it for years now

Does anyone else think this is all @woolbertos fault?

He has a perceived slight against Templenoe over their treatment of his son. He’d probably attend a St Jude’s match over Templenoe at present.

Interestingly a good few of the counties eliminated from the Leinster championship have afforded their players an opportunity to go back and play a couple of league games with their clubs while they wait for the Tailteann Cup to commence.

The Sunday Game changing its theme tune for a brief spell in 2004 would have been a very fitting comparison.

1 Like

How is that interesting? What else would they be doing?!!

1 Like

Some of the managers would probably prefer keep them in camp playing practice matches for the next few weeks. It’s almost like a throwback to the “April for the clubs” initiative around 2019.

For 6 week?!!! What are they going to do in camp for 6 weeks with hardly even anyone to play?!!

Seems the crowds at the league of Ireland are up and the ail semi finals attracted 9k and 7k I think.

Meanwhile a lot of the gaa games are absolutely tanking attendance wise.

1 Like

id say the LOI attendances would double if they were played on Saturdays & not Fridays too

1 Like

Why dont they play Saturdays? I would have thought fridays an ideal night. Sligo are Saturday I think are they

If Munster meet Leinster in the league it’ll be in croker.

I think it dates back to when sky first came in and they were given money and so not as to compete with epl picked Fridays. It just became the norm

Saturdays make sense to me to get the travelling fans