Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Split season opponents
The split season is killing GAA look how small the crowd is in Clones.

They said the provincials were dead but there a sell out in celtic park.

Split season supporters
Look at that crowd in clones nobody cares about the provincials any more they need to play them in January

People love the new format another sell out in celtic park in April.

There less than 22k in Croke Park but over 70k at the 2 games in Munster, just shows if a competition is exciting people will go but won’t if it’s a dead duck.

2 Likes

There’s a way to ‘save’ a quasi Leinster championship.

Give Dublin a bye to the final (let’s be honest, it’s meaningless to them anyway and they’ll get better games in their in house games). Play a Leinster championship outside of them, with all the intensity that there should be. Winner gets the Delaney Cup, and advances to a Leinster Final proper with momentum and a bit of a buzz and a trophy.

It might give the winners a bit of a shot in the arm, rise spirits in the county and might even give Dublin a bit of bother for 25 mins or so.

It could hardly make it any worse.

6 Likes

Create a fifth “Province Of The Megacities” with Dublin, London and New York.

I happened to be travelling near the Kildare Offaly border during the week and I did reminisce about what the buzz must have been like in the mid to late 90s when Leinster championship was box office.
Dubs dominance of Leinster has destroyed all that .

Is it time for a more liberal and aggressive interpretation of the parentage rule? Or a granny rule?

Would throw the cat amongst the pigeons if Ciaran Kilkenny declared for Galway or Con O’Callaghan declared for Cork.

Kildare need to get signing players again anyway.

The Glenn Ryan thing is remarkable. He’s been finished as a manager since Dublin stuck five goals past Kildare in the Leinster final two years ago and still he carries on. It nearly reminds me of Justin McCarthy being over Limerick hurlers in 2010.

Think his aul lad hurled with Westmeath .

Could you do up best case scenario Sam Maguire group stage draw there till we have a look? I think all 16 teams are known now

Don’t know what will fix it tbh. 95 to 99 were box office Leinster championships four different winners - the dubs beating an ageing Meath by about 10 points in the sweltering heat only for a young Meath team to come back a year later and beat the dubs . 97 was Tommy Lyon’s Offaly coming from nowhere to win , 98 was Micko’s Kildare . Great times

Ox Boffice

Dublin
Clare
Roscommon
Westmeath

Donegal
Louth
Derry
Cork

Kerry
Mayo
Monaghan
Cavan

Galway
Armagh
Tyrone
Meath

1 Like

Not too bad. Would it definitely be better to have two only qualify straight to quarters? That’s the simplistic opinion but is it true

Cue the tipp crowd on this thread blaming the split season, PJ and throwing the ball

If only two qualify you’ll have eliminated teams not trying a leg in game 3 and qualification being decided on the basis of effective walkover games.

As it is with three qualifying there’s feck all jeopardy.

Doesn’t work either way.

I once again go back to the Tyrone-Armagh game of last year - it was an appalling spectacle on every level, with a shocking crowd. Yet an Ulster semi-final between the two, even in April under the current system, even with the lack of jeopardy, would probably still go close to filling Clones.

Donegal v Derry last year in the round robin attracted about 5k. To be fair hope was through the floor in Donegal last year, but you’d still have got a much bigger crowd if they’d played each other in Ulster.

Yeah the three qualifying should be slightly better anyway. Hopefully theres some plum draws

You’d have to limit it to around 3 players.

I doubt that would be a problem.

Westmeath under Tom Cribbin managed this in 2015 and 16’ with a mammoth defensive effort. Laois attempted similar under Sugrue in 2019. Unfortunately it’s not sustainable for a full 70 minutes though.

The big conundrum s why Kildare (when in reasonable form) or even the likes of Westmeath could fancy themselves to put it up to the likes of Tyrone, mayo, Monaghan, Galway from time to time, all of who can put it to to Dublin from time to time. But the Leinster teams can NEVER come within a country asses roar of not getting absolutely hammered by dublin
Surely Leinster should be the time to catch Dublin too seeing as they surely cannot give a fiddler’s fuck about winning it

They have absolutely no chance of beating Dublin in Croke Park.An ambush down the country is the only chance they’d have.

https://twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1784564423400587415?t=1PuhoSlYgtOeHBWIMB6GoA&s=19