Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Sure Mayo ended they’re era a couple of years ago too,how many era’s can you have unless your TaylTay

All the great teams have at least two ends of eras.

Kerry had Offaly 1982 and Cork 1987.
Kilkenny had Tipp 2010, Cork 2013 and Tipp 2016.

As long as there’s round robins etc the championship will never be unpredictable

I’m not getting into the debate as there is no reasonable discussion on the subject here.

But I’ll just sign off with one response on this. It may be a misnomer but no more so than the reams of complete and utter shit that is spewed by the same few over and over on this thread. Particularly linking in things that are nothing to do with the split season such as structures which can certainly be improved, I think.

There is no appetite in the GAA from players, supporters or administration to go against the intercounty managers. In fact, the GAA folded to a GPA request on an issue last year iirc. That is what caused the club players to band together to push for a solution, which is the split season. They were being rode raw for years, particularly in counties with a significant dual interest.

In an ideal world, we wouldn’t need it but we are years away from challenging those managers.

If people want to change things, they need to band together and take them on. In the meantime, this is the only workable solution. But the vested interests in the media throw out shit without offering any real solutions. Mainly from people who benefit financially from an extended intercounty season.

The GAA absolutely have to look after their core members before anybody else, it would be an absolute disgrace if they did not.

Thankfully, the mood on the ground remains fairly positive in favour of something workable for the clubs.

10 Likes

The viewpoints over a period of years from those against the split season have been more than reasonable.

You say it’s the people in the media who throw out shit - in my view it’s people in the media who have agitated for this dog of an inter-county football system we have now, and they are the reason we have this dog of a system, along with the vanity of GAA politicians like John Horan.

As long as there is no appetite to take on the power of the inter-county manager, the GAA will suffer.

The GAA is suffering hugely from the downsizing of its most important competitions. This is a separate issue from the power of the inter-county manager. It’s an argument for proper amateurism on the playing side, but professionalism in terms of promotion to the public.

The reality is players are mostly thick as shit and haven’t a clue about the real ramifications of the issues being debated. They have zero understanding of basic marketing and maximising the shop window of a sport. They’re purely concerned with their own narrow self interest, not the interest of the GAA as whole.

1 Like

Lets see should the gaa listen to the opinions of their members who offer countless hours in voluntary roles between playing coaching and admin or a few raving lunatics on an obscure message board on the Internet who are allergic to change, with heels dug into the past due to ‘tradition’

Mate, you think a guy with a worm in his brain should be the most powerful person in the world. :grin:

1 Like

Sure cant be worse than the current fella.

No point in getting into that, or anything with you. Youll rant into the void regardless

Spot on. I was thinking about this earlier after only becoming aware of the Galway-Dublin result about 30 minutes after the game finished, despite being at home & catching most of extra time in the children’s hurling final.

Sticking the senior football quarter finals on an RTÉ/GAA jointly owned app, while RTÉ was showing The Towering Inferno, Ant & Dec & the Euros is all kinds of wrong.

Earlier I was actually watching a bit of Le Tour as Gaelige (spelling?) on TG4 while the Armagh-Roscommon game was behind the paywall. It’s gotten to the stage I’d even welcome Irish language coverage of senior championship games, provided they’re on telly & not an app.

While that minor final was compelling, it was shoehorned in & benefited in a perverse way from the football being on ppv.

I thought Rory Jacob made a decent point in the week about the idiocy of these hurling quarter final double headers & how, if you’re going to have double headers, at least pair a senior game with U20 or minor games to give the underage games more exposure. If that Kilkenny-Tipp game was on at 5pm with a Clare-Wexford quarter final to follow in Nowlan Park at 7pm then the place would be hopping & the senior fixture would benefit too.

Instead you had Clare-Wexford played in a quarter full Thurles in the middle of the afternoon after the Cork-Dublin brunch matchup. An absolutely dire product - flat, dull, pedestrian, lacklustre. No atmosphere or sense of occasion, just fixtures to be fulfilled.

As you said on another thread, it feels like it doesn’t matter that much any more. They’ve chipped away at all the things that combined to make the championship special - the structure, timing, coverage, promotion, build up, anticipation - it’s all been diminished. When you win it’s grand & all, but lose & the disappointment doesn’t linger like before, you get on with your day. Individual counties celebrate titles obviously & it means a lot to them, but it’s not the centrepiece of the Irish sporting landscape anymore unfortunately.

I don’t know whether Jarlath Burns fancies a tangle with these split season zealots or prefers a quiet life. Whatever he decides will have massive ramifications for the future of the GGA.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/RoryJacob/status/1807093499612823937

1 Like

The GAA Go issue is nothing to do with the split season though. Neither is the fact that the group format in the football is shit.

They need to push the county stuff back two weeks. Two out of the football groups or get rid of the fucking groups altogether.

Get rid of the Joe Mac teams coming into the hurling.

All that allows more space for the games to breath.

It might mean the club all Ireland’s being pushed back another few weeks but that isn’t a problem I don’t think. Finishing the club all Ireland in the calender year is way over blown as an issue given how few players are involved at that stage of things.

4 Likes

All you need to do is push all ireland club hurling semi’s into first week of January and all sorted. Whole thing so easy to sort.

2 Likes

That’s a great rant but none of it has anything to do with the split season.

2 Likes

So basically what you’re saying is you’re got no backbone because you’re worried about upsetting a few inter county managers.

Of course the gaa go is a split season issue.

You want your club to fold in favour of a few
Round Robin games.

But day of it ahead for the lad it seems

The Euros is crap, the Gaa championships are rubbish. Living in a wave of nostalgia is not good.

1 Like

Two out of the football groups wouldn’t make things any better though, or at least it’s definitely not certain they would, why do people keep repeating this as if it’s fact? I think there’s a very good argument it would make the whole thing even more drab and give us one less round of actual knock out matches.

1 Like

It’s one less round of games if 2nd don’t have to play third.

I’d be in favour of making the last 16, winners progress with a back door in first few rounds and straight KO after that.