Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

You’re trying to avoid reality, mate.

You’re like the Democratic party cheerleaders who refuse to believe Joe Biden should step aside.

I think they can iron out a few kinks in the split season to make it work. The amount of completely unnecessary games can be reduced. The Joe McDonagh winners and runners up have no business being in the Liam McCarthy. Make it a rule that, outside of the round-robin, you are guaranteed a fortnight between games

As for the football, I don’t know. The provincials will have to go to make it work. They are completely devalued.

1 Like

GAA Go exists because a load of games are pushed into a very tight time frame. That’s a split season issue.

It’s also a marketing issue, driven by zealot thickos who think “internet streaming is the future of sports broadcasting, not television”.

The Joe McDonagh teams playing the 3rd placed teams in the provincial hurling round robins is one of the least pressing “problems” with the championships, ie. it’s not a problem at all.

We’ve seen a propaganda drive to get rid of the NFL/NHL finals too. Yet the NFL final was probably the second best game in either football or hurling all year.

The NFL/NHL finals and the McDonagh v 3rd round are not the problems. Removing them is the idea of people out of ideas who just want to be seen to be suggesting something, some form of change, pointless change.

2 Likes

The split season thing seems to have made minor and u21 bigger deals than they used to be. Homecomings for tipp and Offaly hurlers so far this year. That tiered thing in the minor football seems to be working well too.

1 Like

Think Tipp minor teams always got homecomings

2 Likes

Will they still do so it’s working really well. Being a standalone fixture allows it to inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide

How many people watched Tipp’s children’s hurling victory yesterday evening compared to their All-Ireland minor football victory in 2011, I wonder?

Actually this may be a bad example as I think the GAA decided in their trademark daft manner to fuck around with the live coverage of that too by having it on TV3 rather than RTE.

The point being that All-Ireland minor finals received inordinately more exposure and and had more prestige by being under-18 finals played in Croke Park broadcast by RTE before senior finals in September than by by being stand alone under-17 fixtures played on a Saturday evening in June in Nowlan Park, broadcast by TG4 and directly clashing with All-Ireland football quarter-finals.

Nonsense. What makes under-21 and minor a big deal is when teams from counties hungry for success are in it, or win it.

In under 21 hurling Tipp in 1989, Waterford 1992, Limerick 2000-2002, Clare 2009. Offaly this year is a classic of that genre.

There was another genre of All-Ireland under-21 hurling final which would attract a large crowd based on euphoria from a team winning the senior final the previous week. Tipp 1989 was also in this category of final along with Wexford reaching the final in 1996 and Tipp again in 2010.

Minor hurling has had little of that because nearly every minor hurling title since 1990 has been won by Kilkenny, Galway, Tipp or Cork. Clare winning the minor in 1997 was a big deal, much bigger than their All-Ireland under-17 last year which passed the vast majority of the GAA public by.

In minor football, Armagh reaching the 1992 final was a huge deal. Westmeath 1995. Laois 1996/97. Roscommon 2006. Tipp 2011. Mayo 2013.

Under-21 football has mainly been held early in the year with the final in May, which is probably why I can’t remember the final being a major deal very much. It tended to get lost in a haze of other events and sports. Westmeath 1999 was probably the biggest deal any county made out of winning it in May time.

For a few years in the early 2000s the under-21 football final was held in Autumn. Galway v Dublin on the first Sunday of October 2002 went close to filling Portlaoise. I’d suggest it was unlikely the same crowd would have turned up had it been in May.

3 Likes

Inter county gaa should be exactly like international football.

There should never ever ever have been a split season.

Two games is plenty for inter county teams.

Bin gaa go.

Give power back to the clubs.

Save the gaa.

2 Likes

And the people who supported the split season should apologise to every one. Trying Destroy something as great as the gaa for absolutely no reason.

1 Like

Still going? Unreal.

3 Likes

Great game here teams like Louth are benefitting massively from the split season. Amazing the improvement theyve made.

1 Like

Yep think back to 2010 when Louth were a refs decision away from winning the Leinster championship.

Look far they came.

He’s started raving early today

The run of games has turned them inside out.

There was a bit of triggering in the betting yesterday it seems

If Donegal pull away here I hope they ditch the split season though

Our lads played 7 games this year which is exactly what they need instead of the usual one and done.

2 Likes

He bees raving every day.It must be hard to keep that amount of wumming up every day but he does fair play to him.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/declanbogue/status/1807413371462955053?s=46