Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Talking scutter trying to wind you up

1 Like

You’ve completely lost me

I do find the ticketing situation strange though all agenda based posting aside. I would have thought all Ireland semi final tickets in both sports went on general sale.

Don’t worry too much about it

Next week

I doubt Sunday will sell out but in any case the split season has been an unmitigated disaster from an attendance point of view for the GAA.

Cork v Waterford 2017 was the highest ever Semi Final attendance I would think at 72k. Sunday will be doing well to beat it.

In 2017 though the other semi final had 68k. Next Saturday will be doing well to get half that.

Hurling Quarter Final attendance this year was a little over half of 2017 levels too.

The less said about the Football the better with Quarter Final attendances this year down over 50k on 2017 levels.

1 Like

There’s loads of different factors at play but above all else we’ve had one great game of hurling this year. Last year we barely had two.

Football is even worse.

That should be the catalyst for change. Not attendances. If you have a good product people will come.

I agree. How are the tickets for sunday working though? Will they go back on general sale this week?

The hurling starts with a bit of a bang and finishes out with a whimper. Any momentum built up during the Munster Championship has long since evaporated.

The Football has been dumbed down to such an extent that nobody cares anymore.

A good Kerry friend of mine was at the Kerry v Meath match a few weeks ago and said it was like being at a Funeral for the GAA.

They will.

Cork v Limerick I think will go close to selling out because it has a unique set of circumstances with Limerick going for five in a row and Cork not having won an All-Ireland in 19 years. The biggest population centre of the traditional hurling counties versus probably the second biggest, a rematch of a classic game in the round robin, a rematch of a classic semi-final in 2018.

In 2017 the football quarter-finals drew 65k and 82k. The semis drew 66k, 53k and 82k. I think either semi-final this year will be doing well to draw above 53k.

Mayo and Roscommon bringing 40k to a replay on a Bank Holiday Monday that year really showed how we used to be a proper country.

The GAA will go broke within 5 years if the current downward trend continues as costs continue to spiral.

That’s the first bit of sense you’ve said in a long time

Has any of the opinion got anything to do with tipp being shit and provides you with this world view?

Id agree with him. Last three seasons have been similar. It just fizzles out after the Munster final.

Hurling needs Tipperary.

Make tickets cheaper or else bring them out of croker x.com

Who would be your club in Dublin and what age grade did you play until @Cheasty? I’d say a few of the so-called split season zealots here don’t view you as a “proper” GAA man because you’re not involved at grassroots coaching U16’s or didn’t score 1-3 in the 2010 Junior B county semi-final. But in fairness you do have an extraordinary knowledge and not just of inter-county fare. You’re obviously very well informed on the Dublin senior football championship, Leinster club provincial and randomly enough the Tyrone senior football championship.

That’s just because the only thing the zealots have is try to claim you’re not interested in club gaa.

The reality is they were too worried about up setting the inter county managers.

While the destruction of the inter county championships is one thing but in five to ten years you’ll see more and more clubs focusing one code. Invariably this will be football because it’s easier to play and is already played in more areas.

There are way too many inter county games for the calendar. The club championships need much more time because you’ve actually got dual players.

The power of intercounty managers is a real you can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube scenario, its pointless to discuss it.

Even if they had less power and players were given freedom to play club and intercounty during the same period I’d still prefer the current system where players get to focus 100% on either club or intercounty at different times of the year