Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Ireland winning the deciding third test in Wellington to wrap up a first test series win in New Zealand was the big sporting story of the third weekend of July in 2022. It dwarfed the 150th Open at St Andrews and Limerick beating Kilkenny in the All Ireland Hurling Final.

I dont remember the 2013 All Ireland final between Cork and Clare in September having the same hype and demand for tickets as Sundayā€™s final. Strange as the whole country is on holidays and July finals do not sell apparently.

Thatā€™s just a lack of memory it was mayhem for both games

Good few tickets appearing today anyway ā€¦as always

1 Like

The bbc are showing the hurling on Sunday and not the golf.

2 Likes

The impression I get is there was a lot more hype in Clare in 2013 than this year. Also bigger interest nationally in 2013. More hype in Cork this time alright as theyā€™ve beaten Limerick, havenā€™t won in 19 years and are warmish favourites to win, whereas in 2013 the shrewdies fancied Clare and it was widely perceived to be a poor Cork team who had taken advantage of circumstances and a softish draw to reach the final.

2 Likes

2013 was bananas.

SOD was mobbed by thousands on the Wednesday after at the GOAL Challenge and was on the Late Late Show on the Friday.

Thereā€™ll be none of that this year.

I got a stand ticket today so they are freeing up a fair bit.

2 Likes

Two great All Ireland Finals. Croke Park shook when Domhnall Oā€™Donovan fired over that point. Never felt the likes of it before or since, although Armagh last Saturday with just 60,000 came close.

Cork in 2013 as you said were a poorish side but they did take out Kilkenny. Clare really nipped in then to win a handy one in 2013, not having to face either Kilkenny or Tipperary who won the other 10 out of 11 All Irelands 2006-16.

Maybe that could be an omen for Sunday. Cork taking out the generational team of Limerick only for a Clare side who simply canā€™t beat Limerick when it matters to step in and capitalise again.

It might be time to reconsider the split season, the GAA arenā€™t giving room for the other sports to breathe at all.
Hurling final on BBC instead of the biggest golf tournament, Euros finished last week but feels like it was a month ago such is the lack of chat about it and the way the big games suffered in comparison with the hurling and football matches, some reports that Ireland had their greatest ever win in rugby last week and it didnā€™t get 100 posts on here.
The Olympics has got the sweet spot, the 2 week lull between the intercounty season finishing and the club championships really kicking into action. Will be great to see the track and field stars get the attention of the media this summer for a change.

7 Likes

Good pointā€¦the premier league is fucked as well I see the BBC arenā€™t showing the games on the first day of the season either

Donā€™t tell me they have the Fermanagh club championship as well have they?

Well thatā€™s some load of tripe.

Brilliantly put.

1 Like

Dick Clerkin better watch himself, he has serious competition here.

Did the Euros finish? The bogball has actually turned out to be interesting this year, I must have missed it in all the excitement around that.

The euros totally overshadowed the gaa which is fair enough because football is more popular than hurling or Gaelic football.

The difference now itā€™s overshadowing all Ireland semi finals and quarter finals as opposed to the
Earlier provincial games.

Hurling is popular in about ten counties so losing any bit of profile is surely not good.

You can be pig headed and ignorant and think the split season is working on some level but at least be honest. The big inter county games arenā€™t getting the coverage they used to get in August / September.

A lot of the earlier rounds are also on gaa go which is a disaster. No sport bar football has done well out of going behind a paywall. Why would the gaa be different?

Nobody really knows what the impact of this will be in the long term but Iā€™d struggle to see any benefits of it all. A lot of the inter county players seem absolutely fed up with it as well. Itā€™s a ridiculous schedule now for them.

Your club must be a real hames of a thing altogether.

Itā€™s probably an eastern sea board thing but all of the clubs around us are fielding 2nd and 3rds where previously there was nothing.

The summer games are a winner.

Underage participation numbers are up.

The media and armchair lads are incandescent with rage but thereā€™s a huge section of the ASSOCIATION absolutely loving it.

Rural depopulation is a completely separate issue and not related to the split season as far as I know.

3 Likes

Wexford are finished in mid June most years at the latest. Makes things much easier for everyone. Isnā€™t the Wexford hurling championship already under way?

It surely is.

In fact I heard tell of lad that came back from Australia to play junior A football and junior hurling such is the enjoyment being had.

Crazy stuff.

1 Like