Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Intercounty football is in serious bother, honestly underage games in Wexford my nephews play arenā€™t more entertaining because players are shitting themselves that they might kick a wide.

Maybe it is in KK as itā€™s near Leix but I doubt it would have as much a bearing in Tipp, LK, Clare etc.

Stradbally isnā€™t far from Thurles, Templemore etc. either.

Tipperary football is at an all time low in every department. Thereā€™s 70% of the clubs that donā€™t give a hoot and stopping dual county minors has expanded this.

In fact, thereā€™s only a handful of dual players allowed at u15/16 level. Ridiculous shit.

The overall standard of club football outside of Clonmel, Loughmore & Moyle rovers has fallen exponentially in the last ten years. Walkovers this year by Killenaule in a senior round 2 game as there is no relegation. Drom self relegated themselves by not entering a team this year even when it meant losing a player over it. Kiladangan went Senior 3/4 years ago now they donā€™t even play.

We didnā€™t really enjoy the team Of the 2010s enough because we will be back in Division 4 with odd spells of the bottom of division 3 for the foreseeable.

1 Like

Same question as I asked peddler, will Drom have a leg to stand on if they do nothing in hurling this year?

Itā€™s not but the Tipperary senior hurling championship round 1 takes place the week after the all Ireland final. EP has nothing to do with it. It either falls that weekend or it doesnā€™t.

Theyā€™ll be a lot of lads around the county in recovery mode for next weekend, amazing the amount of lads going on a 3 day session the weekend before knockout championship. The same lads be drowning their sorrows next Saturday/Sunday.

They had a tough group.

Theyā€™ll be disappointed all the same.

Iā€™d say they are trying to adopt the Kiladangan template rather the Loughmore one.

Thereā€™s no real culture of football around north Tipp where Kiladangan are based but Drom is nestled between Loughmore, Templemore & Upperchurch who are all strong dual clubs.

Itā€™s all easy say in here say. @StoneCold would be best served to give a proper conclusion.

Fair enough just looking in from the outside Drom deciding football is holding them back rather than addressing their actual short comings is a bit of a cop out, feel free to correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

We will find out next weekend, they need to beat Borris and hope Kilruane beat Toome. An unlikely but not impossible scenario.

Either way, they are in that chasing pack behind the big 3 of Sars, Loughmore & Kiladangan.

On paper, they are probably the most talented squad of the rest but itā€™s not being shown on the pitch.

It was awful stuff. A double header i think. About 50 people there. Desperate standard.

I believe the Galway senior hurling championship got underway tonight. Just the 12 weeks of no hurling since Galway exited the championship back in May.

1 Like

I was at it :grinning:

Last week bud.

Do they even train for football?

Ardfinnan and Aherlow would.

Shane Keegan has JK Brackens going well.

Started last weekend, Wexford have 3 rounds of each code played and lost a weekend with the Fleadh Cheoil.

Limerick has 5 weeks played, 3 football and 2 hurling. Plus an extra week for the specials in premier inter hurling.

Very few give a shite about Croker when theyā€™re starting out on the club campaign

1 Like

The players were surveyed this year as to whether they wanted to enter the football championship.
A more than 2/3rds majority voted not to enter a team.

Loughmore, Templemore and Upperchurch all have a tradition of football predating any success in hurling that they had.

Football in Drom, while they are able to play it, was always an afterthought to be enjoyed once the hurling was completed. It was never taken seriously and they were only taking the place of a more deserving team by competing in Senior football. The current format did little to endear football any further in the place.

That, and the players/senior hurling management were not too keen on giving time to over to prepare for football. Many supporters would have little time for it either and tens of thousands of euros per year are not being given in memberships, lotto subs and sponsorship in the name of football. Thatā€™s the long and short of it.

1 Like