Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

You need to find some hobbies for yourself

Correct. They’d just miss the club games when EP was in September.

Nobody went to Electric Picnic when the All Ireland Final was on the same weekend.

1 Like

Ah schtop ya gasĂșn :joy:

Everyone was at the kilmacud crokes 7s

2 Likes

We used to be a proper country.

The ideal solution is probably the following from April-September.

Each county has a:
Inter county hurling game.
Inter County Football game.
Round of Club hurling.
Round of club football.

Organising that among all the dual counties across the country would be nigh on impossible without leaving club players on the lurch.

Secondly, it would likely kill the dual club player. The dual counties would also be at a disadvantage when preparing their teams.

Finally and most importantly, the inter county managers won’t allow any club activities in the middle of inter county championship. I have heard a suggestion that the club championships be played off before the inter county championship but that is a ridiculous idea as Davy Fitz et al would run club championships off in weeks to allow their preperations begin.

The club month is not a bad idea but flawed when some counties play 4 championship games whereas others, especially the one code counties play one or zero in some cases.

We are back to the beginning and the current split season is the only show in town, put the finals back 2 weeks later though and extend the all ireland club championships by 2 weeks. Job Done.

3 Likes

Sunday August 18th down the years:
1985: Eamon McEneaney kicks probably the greatest placed ball ever to send the Kerry v Monaghan All-Ireland semi-final to a replay.
1991: Roscommon, driven by a Derek Duggan drop kicked doozy of a goal, look set for victory against Meath but are reeled in by the grim reaper and Meath advance to the final by one point.
1996: Meath literally walk all over Tyrone and the Peter Canavan show is cancelled for the Graham Geraghty show.
2002: DJ dodges through the Tipperary defence to decide a quality All-Ireland hurling semi-final. Armagh finally shake off a Sligo team who relentlessly stalked them.
2013: Davy’s greatest day as Clare humble Limerick in Croke Park.
2019: The last glorious stand of the snipers in Cooper helmets.
2024: Armagh SFC action from somewhere that looks a bit like a 12th of July field.

2 Likes

I see ac dc are playing in croke park. I guess at least it’s not empty.

The GAA is on a Highway To Hell.

The live game today looks like the sack race at a parish fete.

It’s compete bonkers

Hard to believe lads are pinning for the worst inter county football championship of all time.

1 Like

There’s a weird crux in the split season schedule that the vast majority of hurling counties play their championships on the same weekend.

Dublin & Waterford were the only hurling games this weekend, I was lucky to get to Fraher field last night for the Dungarvan derby but many people have no hurling to go and watch, next weekend you’ll have 24 games in Tipp, 30+ in Cork, 20+ in limerick, KK, Galway & Clare on top of the Waterford county semi finals.

A small bit of joined up thinking could help with a “race to Croker” type feel.

1 Like

The Carlow final on TG4 last Sunday was infinitely more entertaining than Armagh v Galway.

2 Likes

Offaly was on this weekend too and Carlow had their replay, might not be a coincidence alot of counties were hurling is stronger had football weekends clashing with EP.

The rota for Football in Tipp this year has been:

Round 1 - August BH/Galway Races
Round 2 - Electric Picnic
Round 3 - Coldplay

If Drom and Inch do nothing in hurling this year what will be their excuse?

Caught a bit of Tipp football on clubber today. No offence but like junior b football compared to Dingle v Kenmare.

That wouldn’t be hard mind. I fell asleep during Armagh v Galway.