Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I’d wager very few if any county finals throughout the country get attendances of 10k or over.

A recent Meath SFC final drew just 2k.

Depending on timing and the teams involved, the Dublin SFC final regularly fills Parnell Park.

Cork hurling got 13 thousand last year. Northern counties seem to get the biggest crowds.

Clare’s support has been very solid all championship in fairness. There is a string connection with the team which has been lacking at times previously.

Even in 2013 the crowd didn’t really buy in until the final. The under 21s at the time were almost pulling bigger support than the seniors

1 Like

I would suggest that was mainly because people were itching to attend any sort match after crowd restrictions had recently been lifted. Just 5,536 people attended the 2019 final.

Which northern counties exactly get the biggest crowds?

Tyrone I would suggest gets the best crowds in Ulster but even their recent finals don’t look like 10k attendances.

Utter scutter.

You’re after forgetting the best senior hurling team in N Cork there pal

1 Like

2019 final was small because of Imokillys involvement.

10-13,000 is probably the average when two clubs are involved. It used to draw north of 20k going back to early 2000s.

They sure are at the moment anyway. Hammered Erins Own the other night. Only 5 weeks to the big game.

1 Like

Derry club matches draw very big crowds.

I couldn’t believe it when I saw they are 14s for the county and Newtown 33s

What are very big crowds? 7,500 at the final between Glen and Slaughtneil last year.

I found 1.45 and 3.45 last Saturday afternoon very unusual timing for an All Ireland Hurling Quarter Final double header. I appreciate that avoiding a clash with the Currie Cup Old Firm pairing of Northern Transvaal v Western Province in Cape Town was foremost in the thoughts of the schedulers and Primetime Saturday evening/nighttime slots couldn’t be obtained against such an alternative.

Tier 1 Hurling Quarter Finals really shouldn’t be playing second fiddle to a Tier 2 Gaelic football competition and the hurling quarter finals should have had the Primetime Sunday afternoon slots.

Most of the hurling and football championships this year have passed me by. The bits that I have caught have in the main been fairly underwhelming and lacking in atmosphere, crowds and any real sense of occasion. Doesn’t feel like I’m missing out on much.

I was home by tea time on Saturday and after missing both quarter finals I thoroughly enjoyed the Currie Cup rugby.

7 Likes

Newtown are not going well but will have Tim and Cormac O’Brien back full time now so will improve. Will suit them big time going in underdogs v Kanturk. Were big underdogs in 2018 too and turned it around. I think Kanturk are a better side now than in 2018 though.

Far better. Don’t know id be backing them as strong favs against a team with newtown experience mind you

agree on the scheduling for Saturday being a pain in the arse. I dont think the split season has any bearing on the odd scheduling that is going on. But those games should have been on Sunday, or at the very least later on Saturday.

Strikes me that the split season has everything to do with all this odd scheduling - no replays, penalty shoot outs, four provincial football finals all played within 24 hours, U20 Leinster Final on a cold winter like Monday night with many of the players sitting end of year college exams the following morning. I don’t ever recall any of those variables at play before this inaugural split season championship.

Marty Morrissey is criticising the split season on #todaycb, calling it “a blunt instrument, there has to be a better way”.

I agree with Marty.

Have they thought about splitting the split season?

1 Like

A better way for Marty to make money…

OK Ewan.