Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Inter county teams were training last November in places as well

Club players are beginning to realise it’s rubbish.

End of the dual club player isn’t far away.

Less hurling will be played but lads will masquerading as club men like @Massey will have their round robin and super eights to entertain them.

When did the season start in December?

And I was talking to a club football manager not sure are they intermediate or senior but they were his clubs highest graded adult team.

He had attended every training session and only player was at 70 percent.

The players aren’t buying into this like lads on here make out.

The money being spent on coaching at club level will become unsustainable. Many clubs were totally fucked for years after the last recession.

Everyone has to work together inter county and club. Everyone needs each other.

So the gaa IS a professional sport now? You’re forever saying its not, while crowing about the Chicken League being ‘professional’ which is not a word I’d use to describe it.

Its pretty obvious why immigrants are more likely to play sports they are familiar with when they come to Ireland. Using this as a stick to beat the gaa with is fairly petty.

1 Like

It’s semi professional thanks to this god awful season and faces a lot of the same problem rugby faces because of it

Im saying the state pays gga players to pay despite the fact its the least diverse sport in Ireland and the fact that the GGA makes a lot of money hosting israeli arms companies

In fairness it’s definitely an issue for the gaa especially in urban areas that’s plainly obvious.

Also, i never mentioned immigrants.

I was only pulling the piss with the word ICONIC but when I think about it the word sums up the amateur status perfectly. Iconic things dont always have to be 100pc true just the first thing people think of in relation to something. The fact the players are amateur (they get a 2k grant?) yet play in front of thousands of people possibly up to 80k at times is the very first thing people abroad refer to if they see or hear about the games. Is it completely unique for a non college sport where players earn little or nothing to draw those type of crowds regularly? Certainly very unusual world wide.
ICONIC status - APPROVED

1 Like

Despite the fact they get paid they are amateur?

My anecdotal experience is that clubs will welcome anyone in if they are interested. Na gael Eireacha the lgbtq club in Dublin are growing steadily with all 4 sports now fielding teams

Its hard to take lectures from a Shamrock Rovers supporter considering their history of racism, homophobia, violence and general all round scumminess.

Yes. Amateur boxers get grants too.

Professional soccer and rubby players get some tax breaks too when they retire?

Touched a nerve there did I.When you grow up and mature a bit you might see there’s more to it than boozing in Dublin for two days in September.

1 Like

I’m sure the club players are disgusted they’re not playing games from December to mid March

1 Like

Yeah, mate , your anecdotal evidence is more important than the actual stats.

Why cant you criticise the gahliban mats? Like surely hosting Israeli arms company is a red line yet not a squeak out of you over this or kingspan

I wasn’t at electric picnic you idiot.

The gaa is going down the exact same route as rugby. Pushing professionalism at every opportunity and making the games less accessible.

You see in rugby wales, Scotland and Australia are in dire straights trying to compete financially.

Even soccer a truly global sport is beginning to eat itself. Outside of the clubs in England very few can compete.

We can’t let that happen to the gaa. You have to try and keep everyone competitive. If you start letting money decide everything you are finished.

And these dangerous fuckers who claim the inter county game doesn’t matter it’s only about the clubs should be photographed and placed on posters all over the country.

Everyone needs each other. Everyone needs to work together as well. One without the other won’t work,