Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Imagine paying for a sky sports subscription and having to choose between super sunday, connacht championship football formula one and english rubby premiership on BT

It’ll never be like junior soccer. No point comparing. Your being completely irrational here

1 Like

McCaffrey. Imagine if Galway win the football. Players can spend the week celebrating at Galway races. Couple of weeks off and then play with the club. Ideal.

1 Like

Gas cunts

McCaffrey.

Its a bit of an anticlimax when you’ve the week booked off work but end up in the cinema on the Sunday night.

2 Likes

Except professional football is worldwide. I’d say you’d still be noticed in Leitrim underage if you had the talent😂 I’d agree to a point about being outside the developmental underage squads when a lot of those are subjective selections with nepotism. But then again you have examples like Lee Keegan who don’t play minor for their county and still thrive at senior level.

I’m talking about the next generation. A Few lads on here only care for what suits them and have no actual interest in growing the game or securing its future.

Only the clubs and the club players themselves can decide if matches are meaningful to them. If they decide matches are not meaningful, nobody can do anything to change that.

The inter-county season is now too short and in the wrong time window. Under the system in place this year, county players get less meaningful matches than before. Clubs get less access to their players.

Put the start of the NFL/NHL back to the first or second weekend in March. All-Ireland finals return to their proper place in September.

The problem with thinking you’ve “resolved” conundrums is you throw up other ones and find that on balance you’ve made things worse. Less media exposure reduced crowds overall. Less money coming in. No replays. Teams being eliminated on penalties. Having inter-county championship being played in what is frequently still the cold, the wind and rain of April. Club championships get played at peak holiday season, when, quelle surprise, a lot of people want to go on holiday.

Limerick hurling championship has 2 men and a dog at it anyway mate so nothing will change there.

1 Like

I like rugby but nobody really cares about the URC. Particularly not in the month of September. The Irish provincial derbies at Christmas and the knockouts stages are the only time that would be in the public consciousness.

Securing it from what?

What it does mean is that in a county with a knockout championship, say Tyrone, players could play one game in a year for their club.

1 Like

The inter county and club championships could be absolutely incredible if done right.

Unfortunately the attitude is ah sure look it could be worse.

What does done right look like?

Yeah but the journos and couch potatoes say we are giving up August and September to rugby? I dont see how.

1 Like

The point is the GAA are giving up August and September to nothing in particular. That’s why those months are so important. The GAA has always had them pretty much entirely to itself with no major counter attractions bar an Olympics for 16 days once every four years.

I think the point is there nothing on in august bar the all Ireland semi finals and finals in the past In August and early September.

A large cohort of county players who exited the championship in May/early June are off in the States and travelling for the summer. They’ll be back by the end of August/early September by the time county championships get down to the knock out stages.

Quite similar really to my own playing days from the late 80’s to early 00’s in the pre-back door days of straight knock out when the majority of teams were out of both championships by mid to late June.

The Dingle races will have prime coverage in August now - can only be a good thing

The gaa aren’t building white elephants in cork and north for the fun of it. They want to keep growing the inter county beast.