Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

It’s parochial and short termism. People will lose interest altogether if the serious stuff is confined to roughly a month ot two max. It’s more likely to increase the demands for professionalism from fellas who actually do take it seriously and play county

Rathbane is hardly the heart of the city.

LOI too

thankfully the rest of Newstalk are better than him

What is it so?

6 months of a county season this year. Its a fair enough stint at it.

The GAA has given itself the snip here. Sponsors wont stand for it. Massive revenue decline in the coming years

1 Like

January and February the worst two months of the year weather wise, when there really should be no GAA were the two months with the highest number of inter-county matches.

Yes we should build our calendar around whether the weather is good enough to play pointless league games in

High Street is St Mary’s Parish and therefore Dicksboro. Definitely not OLG, which is St John’s Parish (and north of the Nore).

2 Likes

Erin’s Own have their pitch in Poleberry which is the most centrally located pitch in the town. They used to have a great tournament there in years gone by. The visiting clubs took it very seriously. The likes of Eddie Keher and Rower Inistioge would pitch up for these tournaments and it was a great way to see greats right up close.

2 Likes

Mate you cried E tears when a provincal club in England got promoted to the premier league. Stick to watching that.

The edge of the city, like most Gaa clubs.

I can answer Galway. St Augustine’s is the parish. City centre GAA, for football, is Fr Griffins/Éire Óg; for hurling, Liam Mellows.

2 Likes

Old Ground as well and iirc St Michaels

1 Like

While that is all well and good, there are a sizable amount of lads in third level who are availing of grants and bursaries due to representing their university in these competitions.

i’m sure if needs be you could remove eligibility to play Fitzgibbon/Sigerson cup for anyone who has played senior championship hurling or football and help relieve a bit of pressure on players, but the county boards or central powers would also need to stump up a bit of cash to cover players who would lose out on grants. Doubt it would cost a whole lot in the grand scheme of things and the benefits would be worth it.

I see the split season master schedulers have the Offaly v Tipperary, Minor Final on at 1.30 in Kilkenny on Sunday. The Galway v Limerick Senior semi Final on at 3.30 in Croke Park.

Is it that much of a foregone conclusion?

Galway v Limerick is the de facto final.

Not a hope in hell the Minor Final throws in on time either with the ticket fiasco.

Ah I remember when we had fuck all to follow and we were reduced to following around minors and making heroes out of lads like Wooly and they boys.

Halcyon days.