Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

100% agree.

Will all depend on how hungry for money the lad coaching them is, just as it has been up to now.

Was it a bad call really .

It doesnā€™t matter hugely .

Itā€™s having a huge impact. The under 21s championship was excellent. Great spread of winners and invariably played mid week with little else on.

There isnā€™t anywhere near the interest in the 20s championship and as pointed out the gap from minor to senior is a long time and now many really good players could be lost to the game a little.

A lot of looking through rose tinted glasses .

The majority of the u21 all Ireland Hurling finals over the last decade were awful spectacles .

There was the occasional good game in the provinces .

The u20 will settle down over time .

The u17 was a wise enough call too I feel and the difference in standard is being amplified for the sake of something to whinge over .

1 Like

Couldnā€™t disagree more.

The sad reality of it is thereā€™s barely a hurler of note in the game under the age of 23 anymore bar Kyle Hayes and its supposed to be a young mans game.

I follow hurling as much as anyone and Iā€™d know if they were there and they simply arenā€™t.

The dumbing down of the underage grades and Fitzgibbon Cup has an awful lot to do with it.

4 Likes

Supporters bought into the under 21 grade as well.

Oh to have another day like this one in semple. When the ball hit the net I had some kind of an outer body experience above in the old stand.
U21 often has great matches

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1153754620600233986?s=21

Seeing Eoin Kelly/Lar Corbett play for Tipp Under 21ā€™s vs Limerick around 2001 and 2002 was unreal.

There must have been 30,000 at those games.

Even in more recent time, watching the home town hero Austin Gleeson put in a Tour De Force in Walsh Park in 2016 was a memorable occasion.

What youā€™re telling me is that young lads are fucking shite nowadays?

They did in their hole in the main .

Most games were played mid week on from of a few thousand . Unless one of the less successful counties got on a run the attendances at finals were small enough.

As a man said to me the night of the 2002 all Ireland under 21 final
ā€œ an u21 team shouldnā€™t be getting that amount of support ā€œ

2 Likes

You are just talking out your arse now.

It was a brilliant championship destroyed for no reason. It was a good standard too.

For some counties the under 21 is the pinnacle of the year.

What counties?

The Lk novelty factor was the key to that crowd - by 2001 both EK and Lar were senior IC hurlers . Not many more were garnered from those Tipp teams .

Itā€™s no shock either limerick, Galway and Clare won under 21s just before breaking fairly long senior droughts too. Waterford have lost two senior finals after winning a 21. It was just a brilliant championship ruined for no reason.

The County Bar in thurles ??

Those counties won u21 AIs because the had serious talent at that age . If lads are winning at u20 things will still largely be rosy in the future .

The impact of changing from 21 to 20 is overstated .

2 Likes

What counties mate?