Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Carlow Footballers were competing in this Tailtean Cup thing.

Carlow hurlers rounded off their Joe McDonagh Cup campaign on 21 May, 5 matches in 5 weeks blitz format, having to make do without with a number of younger players missing through end of year university exams.

They should alternate which code goes first in Wexford and Carlow every second year maybe. No competitive football played in either county until late August which is just as big an issue as hurling being finished early. Nearly every club is dual in Wexford but I’d estimate more than 50% in Carlow are football only. These lads like the Waterford club hurlers have no meaningful matches for 2-3 months in peak summer.

Out since June Bank Holiday I think.

Intercounty managers need to release players to their clubs. Disgraceful

The senior football championship in Waterford is not expected to get going until late September/early October. The county board after putting the hurling championship on hold for 10 weeks after the county team championship exit (recognising the practical reality of mass absentees over summer months) are not starting in the football until the hurling is out of the way. The Football final will probably get played around Christmas Day.

Be great to be playing hurling at the business end of the year

Carlow :joy:

So why are you complaining about the Waterford club players having too much time before championship when they’d have the same wait time if the intercounty championship was pushed on 4 weeks and the club championship started late August?

I’m saying that the Waterford County team and all county teams should be playing the provincial and All Ireland Championships from the June Bank Holiday weekend until about the 3rd week in August. Instead this year you had the heavy lifting in the Championship in this 5 week mini blitz from mid April to mid May in largely shit weather when a sizeable cohort of younger players were doing end of year university exams.

Thats not the way things work mate. Only 2 counties in each code would be playing until the 3rd week of August. Waterford with their results this year would have been out early and still have a big gap before club championship

Fitzgibbon/Sigerson - January - Mid February
All Ireland Club - January - Mid Feb

National League from mid Feb - late April

Championship (proper championship with qualifiers rather than round robin) from Late May to Mid August. Players should be allowed go back to clubs for a couple of league games in early May.

County Championship’s from mid August to mid November. Club leagues run consistently from early April to late July.

Provincial Club in late November/December, and can even run into January if necessary.

No county should need to go back collectively training til after Christmas with a 6 week lead in to the League.

Seems to be the first year in the history of the GAA lads have missed a championship match because of holidays.

Edit: Tony Keady missed one because of his holidays

9 Likes

That’s a very sensible calendar. They should scale back on the number of games in championship too. Get rid of the round Robin and all the dead rubbers it inevitably produces and adopt the type of structure they had 2002-17. You might even fit in a few replays and not need to have penalty shoot outs/free taking competitions.

1 Like

Would you get both codes finished? Be extremely tight. I suppose it would only apply to the counties who went deep in the championship as most could start in July.

Minor and U21 as per the old calendar? Might mean missing a week or two in August for U21.

Also its not intercounty but there’s sacrifice in everything. Lads going travelling is obviously fine but I don’t have much sympathy for lads going to Ibiza for a week and missing a match when the dates for matches were known months ago I presume in the vast majority of counties

1 Like

I think County managers will soon see value in letting players back to their clubs for a couple of games around the end of the league. Jack O’Connor did it this year with good results.

Inter County set ups are generally very boring monotonous places to be for seven months continuously.

The round robins have to go. Lads pretending some game below in Ennis has some sort of significance when both teams were already qualified :grinning:

1 Like

You’ve 3 months from mid August to mid November.

The Cadbury Under 21 Football Championship’s could run on Wednesday nights on a knockout basis from Patrick’s Day to May Bank Holiday with Seniors allowed play.

The Bord Gais Energy Under 21 Hurling Championship would be played on a knockout basis on Wednesday nights from June 20th to August Bank Holiday. Obviously Inter County seniors would be allowed play also.

1 Like

100%

It would be a brilliant spectacle

Post reported.

3 Likes

Tipperary vs Tyrone in the 2015 Cadbury Under 21 Final was an absolutely incredible occasion. Big crowd, Prime time slot on TV etc.

I have absolutely no idea when this years under 20 football final was played.

The hurling isnt much better. Provincial finals on graveyard slots on Monday nights and no All Ireland semi finals. What’s that about like?

We are losing so much and people don’t realise it.

5 Likes