Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Incorrect

1 Like

Thought Cathal Barrett would give it another couple of years under Liam Cahill.

All of these anecdotal stories from @BruidheanChaorthainn will have to go into the ā€œthings that did not happenā€ thread.

1 Like

I was just looking there and note the All Ireland Club Finals wont be played until January. Club Hurling Semis down for December 18th and Football on January 7th.

I thought the whole point of All Ireland Inter County Finals in July was to ā€˜rushā€™ the All Ireland Club through pre-Christmas? If they cant achieve that this year with inter county finals on July 17th and 24th then i have no idea what the end goal is.

@the_man_himself thinks itā€™s a great state of affairs that adult hurlers in Waterford have had no meaningful matches between 22 May and 29 July. What a zealot.

2 Likes

So basically some lads wonā€™t any chance
To have a break at all.

How many days did the Waterford senior intercounty team have unfettered access to their players before their first meaningful game?

Simultaneously complaining about games not being played in the summer and games being played in the summer is a strange take

2 Likes

Club championships should be played off from mid to late August onwards. Itā€™s a reality of GAA life that inter-county players as the elite of the sport are more committed as a body than club players. Inter-county players donā€™t tend to skip inter-county matches for stags/weddings/holidays/piss ups/summer in the US and travelling, the way club players do.

Nothing wrong with split season as a concept but it needs to be pushed back by 4-6 weeks.

2 Likes

I think a lot of inter county players will get a shock when they are pulled back into full Pre Season on November 1st or earlier this year.

I disagree with some of your points on this subject but a lot of lads on here dont get it about the bigger picture. Saying ā€œit will be grand next year, theyll move things on a couple of weeks.ā€ A decision like that would need to be taken at Congress which is in February by which time next seasons calendar will have long since been arranged. Larry McCarthy said last week there would be no change so Id say we are in for more of the same for a few more years.

We have already wasted about 5 years at Under 17/20 nonsense all the while Rome burns. There isnā€™t even a candidate for YFOTY (which is highly embarrassing) this year and a Limerick sub will probably win YHOTY or go very close.

I am of the opinion every club in the country shouldnt be knocked out of their club championship until late September. Clubs should filter out through October with County Finals in early November. The longer the club season runs into the Autumn the better as it really shortens the winter in rural areas especially. This year there will be clubs gone in mid/late August without even having some of their players available to them for some or all of it. Long winter ahead there.

Provincial club can still run pre Christmas and All Ireland club in mid/late Jan early February like 2022. Of course the inter county managers will kick up a fuss about players missing the pre season which is a total and utter cop out.

All im hearing currently is ā€œso and so is in America for Team X but Team Y have 3 in Ibizaā€. Its been a very unsatisfactory start to the Club Championship in that regard.

4 Likes

So eh two months. Just about long enough for a proper pre season. I expect all the teams will be lifting. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ve been playing league and challenges throughout.

Loads of time for holidays as well.

It really is a no brainer

1 Like

They havenā€™t had a meaningful game since the league final really

All Cork clubs at full strength the weekend. Load of nonsense been spoken here by lads upset their Dublin social lives have been thrown into disarray.

1 Like

The Carlow hurling semi finals are on this weekend after 5 rounds of round robin played off in the main with hugely depleted teams. Hurling in Carlow for 2022 ended on July 23 for those knocked out in round robin stages. The domestic hurling in the county will be over for everyone on 7 August. Thatā€™s no hurling in probably the two best months of the year, August and September. Wexford will only be a week or two behind in rounding off the hurling for 2022 in mid August. @kerry1891 has alluded to a similar situation and timetable for hurling in Kerry.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a hobby. Lads who donā€™t play any competitive sport are training five and six times a week.

Playing hurling in December and January seems daft. Playing football too.

4 Likes

Put the whole thing back 2/3 weeks. Provide solved. Lock the thread.

If it wasnā€™t for the round robin, theyā€™d be done and dusted in June

I think the plan is to go ahead next year the same as this year and then to review it. The general consensus in the meeja is thereā€™ll be a two week tweak to it

1 Like

[quote=ā€œChairmanDan, post:1416, topic:33660, full:trueā€]
The Carlow hurling semi finals are on this weekend after 5 rounds of round robin played off in the main with hugely depleted teams. Hurling in Carlow for 2022 ended on July 23 for those knocked out in round robin stages. The domestic hurling in the county will be over for everyone on 7 August. Thatā€™s no hurling in probably the two best months of the year, August and September. Wexford will only be a week or two behind in rounding off the hurling for 2022 in mid August. @kerry1891 has alluded to a similar situation and timetable for hurling in Kerry.
County boards fault. Could run hurling off with football if they wanted to.

I think the problem is that once you bring in something, its very hard to row back.

Like everyone realises the Under 17/Under 20 move has been a total disaster yet here we are 5 years on and it remains.