Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Vintage TFK

Theres a primarily Football club in Tipp playing championship tonight minus five lads in Santa Ponsa.

Fair play to the lads, living not existing

1 Like

What club?

It was known in February that the first round of the Tipperary Senior Football Championship was this weekend. How can you have any sympathy for those lads missing a game?

1 Like

Exactly. I would say far more lads have missed matches over the years when fixtures were shunted around at the last minute to suit inter county

5 Likes

According to @the_man_himself, the split season is not leading to the fielding of depleted club teams.

It’s the August Bank Holiday weekend. It’s peak holiday season so lads will go on holidays regardless of whether or not club matches are scheduled.

I know your solution is that club players go on holidays in June, regardless of whether they are locked into builders holidays in August or whether they have to take children out of school in June to go on holidays.

Arravale.

I dont have much sympathy either as this was well known but rightly or wrongly these couple of weeks up until around August 14th are peak holiday season (coinciding with builders holidays) and there’s a far higher chance of lads being away.

Pushing everything back just 4 weeks would solve pretty much everything.

Builders holidays is probably actually the best reasoning I’ve heard so far in fairness. A few weeks would fix that

1 Like

It’s hard to escape the conclusion that the split season is elitist and class driven. It’s grand for the likes of @the_man_himself to say that club players should now take their holidays in June. Fine if you’ve an office job or working in financial services. June holidays don’t work though if you’re a blue collar worker or a brickie tied into builders holidays in early August, or if you’re an agricultural contractor cutting silage in June.

Is it the split season or the timing of the split season you have the issue with?

I’ve clarified this any number of times. The timing of the split season. It needs to be pushed back 4-6 weeks. That’s not happening anytime soon though. @peddlerscross has highlighted how unyielding a process it is to implement any rule change at Congress.

1 Like

Pushing it back 4 to 6 weeks would not need to go to congress.

I think its the timing that is everyones issue.

And a three week club window rigorously enforced in between League and Championship around late April/early May where players are released to clubs would be massively beneficial to all i think even to just play Club League (Tipp could use it to play divisions). It would break the monotony of an Inter County environment for players, allow lads who were injured during the League to play themselves into Championship contention and obviously for Clubs its always good to have County men around.

The Inter county championship needs to be massively tightened up by the removal of these ridiculous Round Robins and be played off smoothly in the 2021 format from late May to early/mid August.

1 Like

You’re going to looove next year’s football championship format… :grin:

1 Like

If money gets tight you can be sure it will be done away with.

This year alone the revenue lost with good replay opportunities must rankle the Treasurer’s big time

1 Like

I have heard its a total and utter abomination

You heard right.

1 Like

They changing the format/structure again?

There is not going to be a special Congress this year. It was expected but not happening