Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I think we’ll only know how successful the split season is after a few years of it. But we can say for certain now, that the County end of it has gone wonderfully.

1 Like

I didn’t mention 2021.

I mentioned 2019, the last normal year before this year and therefore the best comparison. Now can you deal with my post?

Grounds like Mallow and Charleville are great for club games. Should make the big city clubs come out the country more often.

1 Like

A cursory check at championship schedules over the last decade reveals the following;

In 2018 Carlow ended their championship campaign against Limerick on 7 July 2018.

In 2017 Carlow ended their championship campaign against Laois on 25 June 2017.

In 2016, the first round of Qualifiers were played on 2 July 2016.

In 2015 the first round of Qualifiers were played on 4 July 2015.

In 2014 the first round of Qualifiers were played on 28 June 2014.

In 2013, Carlow ended their Championship campaign with Qualifier defeat to Wexford on 29 June 2013.

In 2012, Carlow ended their championship campaign with Qualifier defeat to Wexford on 30 June 2012.

Please stop pedalling lies and misleading the forum to advance your split season zealot agenda. Carlow ending their championship campaign on 21 May 2022 and the senior club hurling championship then running from 17 June to 7 August 2022 is very much an outlier brought about by split season zealots.

The ‘play All Ireland Final’s in July zealots’ (cc @GeoffreyBoycott) remind me a little of the lads who in the summer of 2020 were delighted to be able to go off to Lahinch on a Sunday for a takeaway coffee and stare at the rocks for a few hours.

Things could so be so much better with a few tweaks but they are happy to defend utter mediocrity.

3 Likes

There seems to be a bit of conflating of all these issues.

Firstly, the split season. A lot of people are happy with this. Mainly from a club perspective. It gives club players a clear defined season and they know when they have fixtures. I still recall playing in championships where it was pure knock out, whereas now we have club teams in Wexford at least with a guaranteed 5 championship games, with most having 6 games.

The issue people in favour of the split season do have is the timing. Most are agreeable to pushing it out by a few weeks. Dont start as early and it can finish maybe a month later. Where the issue lies here is the insistence of the GAA to wrap up the club season in the calendar year. If this was left to run into the following year like it used to do with the St Patricks day finals, then it eases the pressure on club championships having to be wrapped up so early too.

So there seems to be a cross over here of people entirely against the split season and those in favour of it who want it adjusted by dates. I’ve yet to see anyone in favour of the split season rigidly defend the dates or not be in favour of a 3 or 4 week adjustment.

5 Likes

There have been no lies whatsoever in my posts.

Can you explain why the 2019 Carlow county final was played in mid October while the 2022 county final will be played in early August considering that Carlow were knocked out within 2 weeks of each other in each year?

MLR’s influence in the Carlow county board dictated that hurling was played first so it was entirely the decision of the hurling clubs to do so. I’d imagine the football clubs would only love a chance to play first for a change and play their championship during the best summer months of July and August.

The upside of this is that you now have clubs like St. Mullins entering a football team when they wouldn’t have played for years. They entered in the lowest grade last year and won the Junior C at the first time of asking. It’ll be interesting to see if they can replicate Arles Kilcruise rise up the grades.

So the clubs themselves wanted to play it now? What’s the problem so @ChairmanDan ?

Playing off the entirety of the hurling club championships and then the entirety of the Gaelic football ones, one after the other, doesn’t work.

You need to be aiming for a situation where your senior hurling final takes place on October 23rd and your football final on October 30th.

Or thereabouts, give or take a week either way.

There was a substantial Barrs crowd in mallow too. Which surprised me

The impression I get of St. Finbarr’s from the outside is that they are a traditional urban club who had a long slumber but are now strongly emerging again at all levels.

Is this correct?

Not far wrong anyway no. A good dual club. Won the football few years ago

I would agree personally but I think the counties that do it that way seem to like it

@BruidheanChaorthainn needs to replicate Fulvio and send pictures live from a few Limerick Premier Intermediate games next weekend to silence the doubters. That was iconic when Fulvio attended the doubleheader in Omagh.

2 Likes

2019 was an outlier brought about by Carlow participating for the first and only time in that ghastly Round Robin thing.

The simple fact is in a typical championship season (as I have illustrated in some detail for the last decade), Carlow hurlers would be finishing their championship campaign last week of June/first week of July.

They’d tip away then with Bolger Cup or Kilkenny League fixtures for a few weeks and the Carlow Championship would get going mid to late August with all clubs more or less having full hands again with weddings/stags/Enniscorthy Strawberry Featival/Galway races/young lads travelling in the US, silage and harvesting done for farmers - or whatever else goes on during a busy summer all out of the way. It worked just grand for decades.

This current split season timetable that zealots like you are ramming down peoples throats has been a disaster in a lot of counties.

1 Like

Maybe it was an outlier but why did Carlow end up playing their county final in mid October that year versus early August this year?

Would it be fair to say that the clubs involved are very happy with the timing of the championship as @Aertel220 seemed to suggest?

This is the third year in a row that hurling has been played first in its entirety in Carlow. I know that the football clubs are very frustrated about always having to wait so long for championship. Although it maybe suits some of them this year because of J1’s and the likes.

There’s a real earthiness about County Final’s taking place around Halloween.

As @Gman the real issue is the rushing through of the All Ireland Club Championships at Christmas which totally devalues the Holy Grail of the Association.

1 Like

The club finals on the 3rd/4th weekend of January are lovely. Felt they worked well in 20 and 22 and should be retained. They kind of shorten the month. I wouldn’t be excited going to a league came on the same weekend.

Playing the club finals on March 17th prolonged the club season by 2 months

2 Likes