Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Please explain how any dual county could make it work with current inter county formats in place.

I really am all ears.

Mortimer is not entirely correct

The North Kerry senior hurling championship commenced this evening

It is a knock out competition with 10 teams in it so potential for matches there for teams

Dr Crokes Killarney though 20 miles from north kerry sought and were granted permission to play in it and beat Lixnaw after extra time in Lixnaw tonight. This was a super result for them , Dr Crokes are in their second season as a senior club and has been finding it a tough enough slog at senior so this is boost for them

The kerry senior hurling championship is over too early for my liking but I am tired of all this no competitive hurling matches whinge , a new competition started this evening that is ideal for clubs to get players more games and also blood players at senior level . It is completely untrue to say no match until next february.

2 Likes

Rip up the inter county format. Itā€™s absolutely awful.

Of course this inter county format only works because the clubs are agreeing to the split season which fucks the clubs over in the short, medium and long term.

The Kerry hurling championship was always run off fast so they could start the football. It has literally nothing to do with the split season.

Adult Hurling is done in Carlow after next weekend until 2023. It was done in July for all bar finalists. Not a good state of affairs.

1 Like

I hope the box office North Kerry football championship will still be on in December?

you can be certain and sure it will!

2 Likes

It probably will be. They have to play the championship and club championship before they start the divisional competitions.

Thatā€™s very sad to hear. Unfortunately fellas donā€™t care. The EPL and the round robin satisfy their needs.

What was the old format? When did it normally end? I presume it started once Carlow were out, which was likely June anyway

2 Likes

The GAA is rapidly manoeuvring itself into a situation, through both bloated inter-county and bloated club formats, where there is no decent way to solve the problems, a bit like the way the Israelis have manufactured a scenario where there is no way of solving the crisis with Palestine.

First came the second chance and the back door. Then three match round robins. Now itā€™s pre-season, league, meaningless provincial championships, meaningless round robins where one team is eliminated followed by four rounds of knockout in inter-county and bloated round robins in both hurling and football in club championships followed by the provinces/All-Irelands.

There is too much fat.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a lot of things which always happened that people are suddenly blaming on the split season

1 Like

carlow has less senior clubs than kerry? Kerry has 9 at county championship level, 10 in the north kerry championship as Tralee Parnells( intermediate) have sought permission to play senior in the north kerry championship and play senior county league

I guess Carlow has less clubs and doesnt have a divisional hurling board?

I was pissed off about the county hurling championship finishing off so soon but not as now, there is a competition for clubs post the county championship. They may embrace it and stop whinging

Just looked into this for a couple of minutes. This year Carlow played their last intercounty hurling match on the 21st of May. In 2019 they played their last intercounty match on the 8th of June, a 2 weekend difference.

In 2019, the Carlow county final was played on the 20th of October while this year the Carlow county final will be played on the 7th of August, a 2 and a half month difference.

For all of @ChairmanDan 's talk of the split season it appears that this issue of the timing of the hurling championship is entirely down to the Carlow county board and the split season made no real difference

2 Likes

Thereā€™s the world of difference between the Championships of 2021 and 2022. The championship has been played off in 2022 from late June to early August with mass absentees on all teams and greatly diminished crowds. This is the split season model that Croke Park has foisted on counties.

Eh no, thereā€™s clearly minimal difference in the time when Carlow could start their championship in each year but massive differences in when the club championship was played off.

Thatā€™s a Carlow county board issue, not a Croke Park issue. I think everybody can see that now if you try to talk about the problems with the Carlow championship in this thread again.

There hasnā€™t been minimal difference between 2021 and 2022. Last year, Carlow concluded their Joe McDonagh Championship campaign on 3 July 2021.

This year, Carlow concluded their Joe McDonagh Championship campaign on 21 May 2022. Thatā€™s a difference in timeframe of 6 weeks.

Now stop pedalling blatant lies and falsehoods to suit your split season zealot agenda.

2 Likes

Carlow :joy:

I was at 2 games over the weekend and there was massive crowds there. I donā€™t think Iv ever seen as big a crowd in mallow as was there Fri night for Charleville and the barrs

2 Likes

There was a decent crowd st the Douglas gameā€¦ Standard cars parked up on footpaths from the funeral home all the way down to the Silver Quay and onto the well road.

4 Likes