Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

You don’t understand modern day hurling if you think any inter county manager will let their players outside their inter county bubble.

That’s so 2004.

They need to reign in the inter county managers and make club hurling fun again. Club championship should be going ahead 8 days before an inter county game right up to the all Ireland semi finals.

It’s the same with club and international football. A mixed season is best for everyone they just let the inter county managers away with murder.

You are correct, but they attempted to do that from 1995 (when ger Loughnane started) until 2017/18 and it didn’t work.

As a club player myself going to county matches not knowing that if Tipp won:lost or drew what I would be doing for the next fortnight was also very frustrating.

This is just a fashion that some shrewdie dreamt up about not allowing lads play for their clubs.

I bet in ten years time they’ll be forcing lads to play for their clubs because it’s good for them.

It was the same fifteen years ago when alcohol bans were introduced and teams were nearly competing to give up liquor the longest. Now you’ve these same spoofers telling the players to head out for a pint.

It just beggars belief that from mid July to mid September probably the two best months of the year for hurling and football that there’ll be no inter-county action. As you said, club championships and inter-county champions should be run side by side. Inter county managers needed to be reigned in and a reduction in number of inter-county games. Scrap either pre-season tournaments or the league. What purpose does the league serve anymore when you have Championships been practically run on a league basis with Round Robins and Super 8’s?

2 Likes

Look lads, yer aspirations are correct but there’s too many inter county managers and S&C coaches etc who think club hurling is some kind of junior b championship so won’t allow it.

The split season is here to stay.

County boards need to put together good county leagues now to overlap with inter county action. Games on Saturday nights and pints after. Great days ahead hopefully.

It’s a compete nonsense. when will clubs go back training maybe may? And the majority could be finished by mid September ?

This is another joke by the gaa. The real winners
From this will be club rugby and junior soccer.

There’s only 60 or so senior inter county managers in hurling and football. They are a tiny number of people but seem to be dictating the whole show. It’s very unfair.

I’m a few years retired from club hurling now, but in my playing days, clubs were decimated with the younger fellows heading off to the States and elsewhere for the summer months. The older, settled down lads left behind at home would keep things ticking over for the summer months during the league stages and you’d have a full compliment then for the knock out stages by September.

Precisely and I guess it’s a small enough number but if you’d kids in primary school and were playing some club gaa the window for holidays is tiny between July and august. So you are sort of screwing those fellas too or even people primary school teachers as well.

I don’t think anybody would mind little or no club games in august and early September. Gives everyone a chance to go off on a break.

It’s a regular enough occurrence in rugby where the six nations is on paddy’s weekend and the players are given a week off before having a week to prep for a European quarterfinal yet in the gaa inter county managers want players for months before games.

No other sport would allow this.

1 Like

When COVID ends…

County league: March to July
Championship: August to end of October.

It’s a decent calendar for clubs. No January training for two games in April.

Sure you’ll have all the students who are studying missing club league games for exams in may and June and no inter county players either. Then you’ll get plenty of over trained inter county players tearing off for holidays once they are knocked out as well.

This will be a disaster.

Imagine the august bank holiday when half the country is holidays and on the Sunday of it the community shied is the only sport on telly.

The gaa have shot themselves in the foot big time.

GAA will have a window of two weeks for lads to go on holidays in July.

Any fella who’s anyway half serious about club hurling will plan his holidays around them dates.

The sporting calendar is very condensed with competition. The GAA with the summer sports always had a nice window for the championships from June to early September during the soccer and rugby off season. They’ve effectively chopped off two thirds of that window now.

Much the same way as in England with cricket as the summer sport. The cricket season would start on a slow burner in April with the early rounds of the county championship, then quicken up and attract the real public interest once the soccer season finishes up in mid to late May. There has been that issue in English cricket as well of counties getting access to England players. I doubt the EWCB will go the route of playing off the summer test series by the middle of July though.

1 Like

The GAA is not about event junkies in pubs on bank holiday Sundays.

You’ll have about 600 club championship games that weekend which is far more important for the organisation.

2 Likes

That’s a tiny window at a time when it’s most expensive to go on holidays.

They’ve basically created a calendar to cater for inter county players not to play for their clubs.

It’s a weekend when everyone goes on holidays or takes a break. Having six hundred club championship games is just silly. There should never be clubs games on it isn’t fair on players or their families.

The English premier league will be the only show in Ireland now in august thanks to this nonsense.