Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

Yes

Would the clubs not go first so if you go well for the club you could end up playing for your county that year off the back of your club performances ?

The problem is inter county managers would want to train while the championships are on.

Makes sense to call lads up on form alright.

The inter county managers need to be reigned in. All this preparation is complete nonsense.

We’ve basically a league format in hurling. Pro teams have pre seasons of a month maybe six weeks. In gaa we’ve a nearly 7 month long pre season before championship.

Their round robin format has made the league redundant as well. It’s at absolute joke.

You are right but it won’t happen.

Club must come second.
You saw the way Davy played a blitz in Wexford last year.

It’ll be like the rugby when the provinces were given a free reign over the clubs. This is a disaster.

The inter county season ending in July will see every fella in college out in America for six weeks too. It’s laughable they’ve come up with this.

In the 2019 Munster hurling round robin championship phase which seems to be croke parks new love child we had games where the winning team won by 10, 18, 7, 20, 13, 9 and 18 points respectively.

In the final 2 games of the phase 3 of the 4 teams had little to play for only who got into the Munster final. Limerick even rested some of their best players despite not being guaranteed a place in the Munster final.

It’s a complete waste of time

The USA Sanction deadline is the 1st of June I think (must check that) so I wouldn’t think it will effect club hurling as much as some think.

The money will have been spent on a few lads that drop out of county panels or the good club hurlers.

Intercounty gate receipts will determine what’s what when things are back to normal. Not what clubs want.

1 Like

A lot of lads just head off on a holidays to the states. Going player over isn’t as big I find. It’s some serious nonsense they’ve come up with.

The round robin in hurling and Super 8’s in football were two absolute beauts.

It’s a big reason why a lot of lads go. 10k changes lads mind quick enough but there’s definitely a deadline.

Super 8s are poor in my opinion so far. Too many dead rubbers and the dubs playing two games in Croker is a joke.

People will stop fairly quickly. The novelty will wear off.

The new split season structure is a real two fingers to the GAA diaspora as well. August is holiday season nearly the world over. Lot of emigrants, who would have emigrated in the 1950’s (obviously dying off now) and the 1970’s would come home during the month of August on their annual holidays to take in the Championship. First Sunday in September was always a nice date to allow emigrants to take in the hurling final before heading home that night. Labour Day weekend in the US and back to work and school in the UK.

3 Likes

Current hurling structure is good but it makes the league into total challenge games.

Jesus I can’t wait til normality resumes.

Life has to move on. They can come back and watch some top quality club hurling.

I was at an all Ireland final a few years back and had to cough a few hurling final tickets reluctantly because of that diaspora thing having some sort of 50 year reunion to a few distant cousins of my auld fella. I didn’t know much about it but it just seems a shambles to split the season.

The all Ireland finals should be on in September. End of debate.

1 Like

The split season has been shown to be the only way.

Lads coming back from New York for a few beers can do it a couple months earlier.

They’d take in the club hurling when they were home as well. My father was a Kilkenny man so got plenty of club and county games when he was home from England on his holidays in August. Kilkenny despite been in the hurling final practically every other year could still keep a club championship running during the summer months.