Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

There’s a fair percentage of lads here who’d be as good and better than the journalists in the mainstream media.

2 Likes

Whatever about the pros and cons All Ireland finals in September are a thing of the past.

You’re missing the point that the problem with the All-Ireland football championship since around about 2011 has mainly been a problem of competitiveness, not format (bar the Super 8s which were a terrible format).

Whereas the problem with the league is one of format, not competitiveness within the individual divisions.

But that format screws competitiveness between the divisions in the name of entertainment.

Which means we get less entertainment in the championship because the rug has been pulled up and the weak get weaker.

Sporting kleptocracy 101.

I would agree with club championship formats. Cork who have the most clubs in Ireland have a 12 team senior hurling and football championship. In my opinion 16 team championships have too many teams and the quality of the bottom 4 is poor in general. 3 groups of 4 leads to some exciting games and are more evenly balanced. I would even say an 8 team senior championship would be very exciting and lead to increased quality.

Lot of wumming going on here as per usual by the usual suspects. They’re argument provides no concrete solution as the GAA is not going to change the current hurling structure.

My solution is what most people think:

The hurling final should be this weekend (or last) and the football next weekend. Push the all Ireland club back until the end of January.

@BruidheanChaorthainn and @Cheasty the stage is yours to offer something realistic to this.

1 Like

The Wexford senior hurling championship has become very competitive since it moved from 16 to 12 teams. Both 6 team groups went to the final day with a plethora of permutations and possible outcomes. 12 is just about right in most of the bigger counties I’d say. 8 is a bit extreme and cut throat like you see in Kerry. An absence of variety too.

This is one of the most ridiculous arguments I’ve heard. The Tyrone SFC is perfect with 16 teams. The Westmeath SHC has 6.

There is no reason why they should both be 12 team competitions.

It’s like saying the LOI should be a 20 team competition because the PL is.

3 Likes

Obviously Westmeath shouldn’t be allowed 12 in that scenario. Do you think their is 16 teams of senior standard in Tipperary, Clare and Galway for example? No chance.

Well Mullinahone for example look like one of the worst teams in Tipp senior this year and last year they were within a puck of a ball of a semi final

Is there 20 teams of Premier League standard in England?

There should only be at most 5 or 6 Tiers in any County Championship making it possible (albeit very difficult) for a club to come from nowhere and get to the top.

If your down in Junior A in Tipp or Clare its not beyond you to get to Senior in 5-10 years if you’ve a good crop whereas if you are a Junior F team up in Dublin you are going nowhere and consigned to a future of Junior D at best.

1 Like

12 team senior, 16 team intermediate premier and 16 intermediate A. That is 44 teams. Rest down junior. 4 tiers.

In Tipp, there is little difference between Team number 16 and 9. It’s a perfect number for the county.

1 Like

There’s no reason for it to 12 rather than 16 at senior and just complicates things in running the championship instead of being streamlined with the other grades

2 Likes

Perfect reason. 9 to 16 are making up the numbers. Should have to earn your senior status.

Cork have 12 with no issues.

Yes it really seems to have helped in raising the standards of Cork club hurling

6 Likes

I think Glen Rovers win over Patrickswell in 2016 is Cork’s only win in Munster since 2009. I doubt they’ll be winning another any time soon either.

Tipp havent won an all ireland club since 1987 is it? 2 losing final appearances since then. Appalling record. Actually worse than Cork teams in that period.

Its terrible yes i agree.

I have noticed a marked uptick in the quality of your posting lately. You are the Peter Crouch of the forum, written off way too soon but your efforts lately have proved the doubters wrong. Keep it going.