Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

I think one of the northern counties had some kind of system in the league where certain games were worth more points and county players had to be released for them.

1 Like

Monaghan.

Star games.

1 Like

No they donā€™t, and they never will, unless you donā€™t consider club leagues part of the club season.

Yes.

That month around April/May is a great time of year. The whole year is pregnant with possibilities for clubs and counties alike.

A break of 4 or 5 weeks between League and Championship would allow anticipation to build for Championship, would allow County Players refresh with their clubs, and clubs would get a good run of League matches with full teams to pick from. A win-win-win situation.

Iā€™d prefer not to play Club Championship during this time, as it means clubs training hard for months for 1 or 2 games and then a long break but good, solid club league matches would be grand for all in this period.

The whole thing is built on getting rid of the nonsense round robins in the I/C championship though.

No your are completely incorrect.

The inter county season is after expanding if you havenā€™t noticed. There is no break and loads of meaningless matches.

The players are absolutely flogged for 8 months by inter county coaches without any care for the club championship season taking place in august.

In the old system the inter county season was broken up a few times with club windows which were fantastic.

Anything more than three group games and then straight quarter-final, semi-final, final is unnecessary bloating.

Some would argue that format already constitutes bloating.

The intercounty season was broken up with club games which clubs wouldnā€™t have a clue if they were actually playing until the week before and their players flogged by intercounty managers

Thereā€™s only one channel there. Black and White too.

Would agree that 3 guaranteed group games for clubs would be fine in my opinion. Limerick Intermediate hurling championship has 7 games for each team. Too bloated for me.

Premier Intermediate is 7 games.
Intermediate is 5 games.

7 is a bit too much. 2 groups of 4 be better in my opinion.

Premier Intermediate and Intermediate - ffs, who do ye think ye are, Tipperary?

Senior - 12 teams
Intermediate - 12-16 teams
Junior A - 12-16 teams
After that itā€™s up to the size of the county as per how many divisions are needed after that.

2 Likes

Limerick have senior a and b. So itā€™s five divisions really before junior b.

Limerick have also won 4 of the last 5 all irelands and were robbed of making it 5 out of 5.

So maybe the rest of the country should take note of how we do things.

Senior A - 6 teams
Senior B - 6 teams
Premier Intermediate - 8 teams
Intermediate - 12 teams
Box office Junior A - 24 teams

3 Likes

16 page preview of the Louth Championship as it prepares to throw in. Box Office. Wahey the split season. Wahey the Drogheda Independent.

3 Likes

This is such a bullshit statement. Beaten fair and square on the day of the semi-final and Iā€™d say Tipp would have won in any case in 2ā€™19, it just would have been a lot closer if that cunt Barrett didnā€™t dive and that bollox Owens didnā€™t send off poor Richie.

1 Like

You seem to have forgotten a clear 65 not awarded at the end? Sad Kilkenny have been reduced to cheating but such is life. Limerick would have walked all over Tipp in second gear.

What are the most ridiculous names for club grades in counties?

Premier Junior?
Seniormediate?
Remedial Junior?
J1?
Senior A +?
Senior A ++?
The Georgie Burgess Senior A1 Championship?
Senior Pub?
The Premier Lads With Hangovers Championship?
ā€œI Canā€™t Believe Itā€™s Not Seniorā€?

Good thing the split season came along to save the Gaa, long may it live

1 Like

Kildimo/Pallaskenry have never been close to folding,Kildimo Gaa and Pallaskenry Gaa may have been struggling in the past but I was in the Sthates back then.