Gaa split season,killing Meath football since 2011

But a lot of these club championships are ridiculously bloated (as will be the inter-county football championship next year, incidentally). Six team round robin groups and round robins with no team eliminated. These are ridiculous formats.

Championship should not be about providing guaranteed games, it should be about providing cut throat competition. Leagues exist to give guaranteed games.

Along with Facebook, Twitter, WTS apps. Itā€™s there for those that want it.

1 Like

WTS is very handy

3 Likes

No violin whatsoever but lads canā€™t simply try and undermine me by calling out my credentials.

The clubs will die thanks to this god awful split season.

Itā€™s the worst idea in the history of the association.

Cannot see it happening.
At the moment you have kids off school getting to games on summers afternoons/evenings, getting out to see and greet their local heros.
Clubs should find funding and such much easier to do and easier to manage also with a planned calendar year.
Itā€™s common sense.

There has to be a cut throat element to Championship. Groups of 6 with 4 teams qualifying doesnā€™t give you that.

Tipp has it currently with 4x4 Groups, Dublin has it, all the Ulster counties have it.

County Players should definitely be released by managers throughout the year for Club League games though especially around May between League and Championship and any non-compliance should be result in huge punishments. Everyone seems to think the boat has sailed on that but I dont think it has with strong leadership from the Association.

1 Like

Funding is going to become a much bigger issue for a number of reasons.

You can follow inter county teams now without having any real connection to a club. That cohort of people is growing at an alarming rate.

A lot of rural businesses like pubs and that are going out of business.

People are less connected to their areas before. With the new planning laws itā€™s going to become more difficult to live in the area you grew up in.

Thanks to the split season the clubs are really going to start to struggle. When the majority begin to see itā€™ll be too late.

There is absolutely no reason why clubs canā€™t be playing championship games in the months from April to October.

Cramming all the games into august is an awful idea. Attendances are down all over the country and itā€™s only going to get worse from every year on.

A few inter county managers shouldnā€™t get to call the shots.

By and large given the money spent the inter county standard is woeful.

The biggest supporters of the split season were the same lads hounding poor shane Walsh. His move was against the ethos of the association apparently.

1 Like

Canā€™t see county players being released for league games. Who is going to enforce it?

There should be designated weeks where no Inter County training can take place from Thursday - Sunday.

I think Inter county managers will soon realize it will benefit players to get back to their clubs and refresh,

Worked for Kerry this year. Jim Gavin used to release the Dublin players to their clubs for a full 5 weeks in April/May each year and it helped them no end.

1 Like

It kept the county players connected to their clubs too.

Thanks to the split season Unless a club goes very far in a club championship the best players are only going to be playing for their clubs for maybe 8 to 10 weeks of the year which is criminal in my opinion.

From my experience, Iā€™d never meet those that follow county teams at club games anyways and thatā€™s never going to change. From an administration point of view this is an opportunity to exploit in favour of clubs if the willingness is there to do it.

Rural businesses are going under long before the split season was introduced. Pubs are gone since the smoking ban came in. Add in Drink/drive laws and morning check points and cheap supermarket alcohol sales.

Planning laws are planning laws and not the fault of GAA admin.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s right but County finals in August are only happening in a handful of counties. Games will be played in Oct. Just maybe not in your county.

Iā€™m listening, but at the moment you cannot compare one county to another in their set up and structure because there isnā€™t a comparible template in place as every county runs their own shop as they see fit.
Will the counties give up that autonomy to put something like that in place?

I like the split season, granted it needs tweaking but jesus I think itā€™s far before what was there.

The shane Walsh case is exactly the best example of how awful the split season is in reality.

Heā€™ll only be at his club for 8 to 10 weeks of the year thanks to the crazy uninterrupted 8 month inter county season consisting of leagues and mini leagues.

Shane and the other county players will become peripheral figures at their clubs. maybe playing 7 or 8 games a year maximum in a very short space of time.

The whole thing is awful.

8 to 10 weeks is more than they were previously at their clubs

In correct and one little injury and they might not see any club games at all.

I am trying to listen to you and hear merit in it but I think ShaneWalshgate is a story that just per chance suits your story. The intercounty scene began in March and is over since July. 3 and half/4 months.

The inter county season begins in January if not December.

mickey mouse stuff.

No it is correct. Clubs now have full access to their players for the full club season. In the past they were getting flogged all week and then turning up as a shell of themselves for their club at the weekend

1 Like