GAA Turning Professional - Choco does a Breheny

LOI attendances hardly average 1k do they mate? Few hundred, no?

[QUOTE=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 925357, member: 80”]LFC paying 200k to lay SRFC next month
[/QUOTE]
Thinly veiled “My beloved SRFC are nothing more than prostitutes” from TASE.

[QUOTE=“The Wild Colonial Bhoy, post: 925357, member: 80”]LFC paying 200k to lay SRFC next month

thats what the LOI can demand for a one off game[/QUOTE]
That’s a lot of money for a roide

Agreed serfdom stifles any initiative in Russian.

Average attendances at LOI :smiley:

PREMIER DIVISION

Athlone - 1,242
Bohs - 2,530
Bray - 525
Cork - 4,036
Derry - 1,300
Drogheda - 1,515
Dundalk - 1,884
Limerick - 1,081
Pat’s - 1,250
Rovers - 3,307
Sligo - 2,182
UCD - 544

With all that has gone on in this country, lads are over looking one major Irish trait, greed! Croke park will lap the money up- The GPA too. We are fundamentally corrupt as a people and once the money starts rolling, this will only go one way.

[QUOTE=“Sandymount Red, post: 925374, member: 1074”]Average attendances at LOI :smiley:

PREMIER DIVISION

Athlone - 1,242
Bohs - 2,530
Bray - 525
Cork - 4,036
Derry - 1,300
Drogheda - 1,515
Dundalk - 1,884
Limerick - 1,081
Pat’s - 1,250
Rovers - 3,307
Sligo - 2,182
UCD - 544[/QUOTE]
Jesus I thought Dublin was the hotbed of LOI-look at Pat’s average figures ffs. 3,000 unemployed scumbags going to Rovers:rolleyes:

Not feasible Rentboy. GAA is losing cash fast to the likes of scumbags who celebrate pitch invasions and then try to claim for injuries sustained in so doing.

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 925350, member: 1786”]No, it would be madness and ruin the game. I believe the GAA in this country has been so successful because of amateurism, not in spite of it.
Most county boards are just about keeping their heads above water as it is, without the demands of paying players being put upon them as well. It’s not as if magical new revenue streams are going to appear if the game went professional.[/QUOTE]

That’s it. You can’t redraw county lines either so the playing irks would never be equal it’s not as it is, but it would get out of hand if Cork, Dublin etc could generate huge money but someone like even Kerry couldn’t.

[QUOTE=“Mark Renton, post: 925345, member: 1796”]With all this talk of TV money and the threat of players being payed or the game turning professional, should the game go down this route? If so, how would they go about it? Smaller clubs would surely go and be swallowed up by bigger clubs as players would all want to get noticed- But are not a lot of small clubs perishing, or just about clinging on, as it is??

I’m not for it or against it, just wondering how, if at all, it would work. I’m all for Sky showing games, but you can be sure that if this three year thing works out from their end and they feel they can get more from it, more money and more games will be sought— As always, let’s let Ireland’s premier sports forum dictate the way.

First off, @Anto Can you tell us the fate of the Club scence once the provinces went pro and what would be your advice as a die hard club man.

The club scene was finished once the proviences took the Heineken cup serious around 1998. There used to be 10,000 turning up at a Young Munster Garryowen match, you would get something similar at Cork Con. Then the bandwagon starting around 1999 and all of a sudden everyone was a Munster fan. It ruined club rugby as we all know. Crowd’s dwindled and revenue dried up. Clubs are just player feeders now to the provences and that sense of pride to put on the jersey is gone in my opinion.
As a die hard club man the GAA should stay amateur. I can see SKY looking for more games and getting them after 3 years and god knows where it will end up then.[/QUOTE]

GGA 2ns division game last week

crowd 7 peope

But the money will remain at the top who have no intention of seeing others benefit from it. Although usually an arsehole, Ciaran Whelan made a fair point last night about Croke Park on finals day. Everybody in the Stadium is getting paid except the players on the field.

The GAA is institutionally corrupt, the GPA is an elitist organisation that routinely ignore real issues facing players and most County Boards are made up of dinosaurs who are in it for all the wrong reasons.

No way could it work.

The Shamrock Super Rovers Casuals*

*sung to the tune of Oasis - Champagne Supernova

[QUOTE=“Mark Renton, post: 925345, member: 1796”]With all this talk of TV money and the threat of players being payed or the game turning professional, should the game go down this route? If so, how would they go about it? Smaller clubs would surely go and be swallowed up by bigger clubs as players would all want to get noticed- But are not a lot of small clubs perishing, or just about clinging on, as it is??

I’m not for it or against it, just wondering how, if at all, it would work. I’m all for Sky showing games, but you can be sure that if this three year thing works out from their end and they feel they can get more from it, more money and more games will be sought— As always, let’s let Ireland’s premier sports forum dictate the way.

First off, @Anto Can you tell us the fate of the Club scence once the provinces went pro and what would be your advice as a die hard club man?[/QUOTE]

The club scene was finished once the proviences took the Heineken cup serious around 1998. There used to be 10,000 turning up at a Young Munster Garryowen match, you would get something similar at Cork Con. Then the bandwagon starting around 1999 and all of a sudden everyone was a Munster fan. It ruined club rugby as we all know. Crowd’s dwindled and revenue dried up. Clubs are just player feeders now to the provences and that sense of pride to put on the jersey is gone in my opinion.
As a die hard club man the GAA should stay amateur. I can see SKY looking for more games and getting them after 3 years and god knows where it will end up then.

[QUOTE=“Anto, post: 925385, member: 1117”]The club scene was finished once the proviences took the Heineken cup serious around 1998. There used to be 10,000 turning up at a Young Munster Garryowen match, you would get something similar at Cork Con. Then the bandwagon starting around 1999 and all of a sudden everyone was a Munster fan. It ruined club rugby as we all know. Crowd’s dwindled and revenue dried up. Clubs are just player feeders now to the provences and that sense of pride to put on the jersey is gone in my opinion.
As a die hard club man the GAA should stay amateur. I can see SKY looking for more games and getting them after 3 years and god knows where it will end up then.[/QUOTE]

mate, a normal championship game gets 200,000 viewers in Oireland, there isnt a big demand for these games in Oireland, cant see the Brits liking it although didnt they basically invent modern hurley

[QUOTE=“Elvis Brandenberg Kremmen, post: 925383, member: 1624”]But the money will remain at the top who have no intention of seeing others benefit from it. Although usually an arsehole, Ciaran Whelan made a fair point last night about Croke Park on finals day. Everybody in the Stadium is getting paid except the players on the field.
[/QUOTE]

Fuck sake. I’ve been to plenty All Ireland finals and never got paid for it :mad:
Who has my money?

[QUOTE=“Anto, post: 925385, member: 1117”]The club scene was finished once the proviences took the Heineken cup serious around 1998. There used to be 10,000 turning up at a Young Munster Garryowen match, you would get something similar at Cork Con. Then the bandwagon starting around 1999 and all of a sudden everyone was a Munster fan. It ruined club rugby as we all know. Crowd’s dwindled and revenue dried up. Clubs are just player feeders now to the provences and that sense of pride to put on the jersey is gone in my opinion.
What may well happen in three years’ time is that RTE will keep the same number of matches (31) but Sky increase from 20 to 40 or so.

The GAA reduced the number of live matches three years ago, and I don’t recall anybody moaning about “the right to see my county” then.

The insecurity of some people needing to have a lash off LOI instead of arguing the point at hand :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is simply infeasible and unpossible.

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 925430, member: 180”]The insecurity of some people needing to have a lash off LOI instead of arguing the point at hand :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is simply infeasible and unpossible.[/QUOTE]

I think it will be done - 100 euro a week for 9 months of the season for county players - 3600 per player
30 on a panel and 34 teams football (less in hurling) so say 62 teams qualify - 6.7m

top ups for players from counties based on performances - 3.3 m

Could do it for 10m centrally. In time counties would top that up and that is the tricky piece - it probably needs to be centrally controlled or you end up with a transfer market in GAA.

Gaelic games could go professional but more along the lines of America Football with franchises and players signed to franchises, not counties.

In hurling, you could have 12-14 franchises dotted around the country with players from all counties playing for a franchise.

Let the All Ireland run as is with players playing for their county between end of July and Mid- September (7-8 weeks)

You could have your professional games played between March and end of June and giver players 3/4 weeks with their counties.

With pre season and thw works, you’d have lads going from December until August/September.

cc @caoimhaoin @ciarancareyshurlingarmy @carryharry @Crutches @cmontofuck @croppy_boy @corner_back @count_of_monte_crist @anon26343222 @ChocolateMice