Gaa

Poison there perrywinkels is what I’ll do

And “red sauce” the love red sauce on THIER Buurgars …poison the ketchup :wink:

Ok

It’s about time we had another thread about Limerick.

Up Limerick

Are RTÉ running programs about the AI winning teams over Xmas as per usual?

Did they do one last year?

The World Champs surely had one?

I don’t remember a bit of it.

The AI Final itself wouldn’t be much of a watch over Crimbo. Maybe they’ll throw on the semi agin Wexford.

Extended buaicphointí at 4.10pm Stephen’s Day, TG4.

KK - Limerick semi final on the 27th and full AI Final on the 29th.

Would the gaa have concerns over running a shortened championship like a straight knock out one for example for fear it’s a raging success? Isn’t the hurling championship Structure due for a review at the end of 2021.

I’d say they’d have slight concerns about it alright, but counties knocked out in the first round won’t enjoy it too much either.
It might finish off the super 8’s but that’s a pile of shite anyway IMO.
At this stage I’d say they’d be glad of getting it played in whatever format

Given how much effort and training goes into running an intercounty set up a 1 and your done approach would not be desirable for many county players. That’s why back doors and the like were brought in in the first place. It was because of a clamour of voices from players, management and commentators alike. Munster and Leinster were gearing up to be big hits this year after a damp squib in Munster last year. All that was needed was a bit of tweaking so that provincial winners wouldnt be sitting ducks after a long lay off in AI semi finals.

1 Like

The provincial winners could play the Joe McDonagh teams in quarter finals.

Theres also the money aspect of course. Youd probably have somewhere between 35 and 40k in Cork next weekend if it was going ahead.

Yeah that could be a runner alright. I think there is a lot of merit in the current format. In Leinster last year you had Lee Chin needing to point a 65 against a strong wind to secure a draw against Kilkenny. Galway must have been long odds on to Qualify. Any result other than a draw would have seen them through and then they concede a late goal to Dublin and have to bring on Joe to save the game. It was pulsating viewing at the time. We need more of that.

2 Likes

Money talks these days.

The financial hit if the likes of Mayo or Dublin were shocked the first day out mean the days of straight knock out are pretty much done.

The Super 8’s have been a disaster and need to be ditched.

I think as a one off the money aspect won’t hit too hard for the football. There are poor crowds for a lot of Leinster & Munster games for example whereas if it was straight knockout the crowds would increase especially when they’ve been starved all summer. There’ll be a big hit for the hurling alright. Every game would be a sellout though (if that’s even allowed).
The big knock ons will be for the likes of the Ardhu in limerick which is struggling at the best of times and things like the greyhound track in Thurles which must do more business for matches than it manages for any dog night. I’d say it’s keeping the track open, and lots of pubs in Thurles with it.
The likes of KK, Cork, Killarney etc wouldn’t feel it as much assuming real life has resumed in the meantime.

County boards will take a big hit as well, although their expenses for preparing the teams will be way down and I’d imagine club gate receipts would be way up. In a scenario where we go back as per the plan.
HQ can afford the hit. Cork county board might be in the shit though with the concerts cancelled as well.

Munster Rugby must be struggling @gilgamboa?

Yeah I’d ditch the super 8s but still retain the provincial championships. Munster and Leinster have been pure shite over the last 10 years but the likes of Roscommon, Monaghan have got rewarded and have had big days out for winning their provincial championships. Fermanagh have got to a final and I’m sure if Cavan won one it would mean a lot too.