Galway - quadruple travails part 2

1 Like

No Tommy no party for Thomas’s

Ah yea always.

Is that young lad still presenting that?

Yes. Changed the name of it from the Backdoor GAA podcast to the Maroon & White podcast. I guess it was a 90% focused Galway GAA podcast anyway. Good to have but the audio could be definitely be improved.

2 Likes

You can’t really have a Galway hurling podcast without a lad owning a serious lisp tbf. It’s tradition from the days of David Connors (before he got pantsed online).

1 Like

Is Connors still with the Tuam Herald?

What happened him online?

He is indeed. He put up a tweet mocking somebody for stupid tweets or took a grandstand on people’s behaviour on social media but then had some of his own old tweets dragged up. Think there were a few Hillsborough jokes in there too.

He deleted his account then and hasn’t resurfaced in months.

1 Like

That’s a pity as he did provide some good content on Galway club games. His podcast was decent also, especially when he shortened his musings to one point per sentence.

Your man from Beagh (or Mullagh) has since moved to London iirc.

2 Likes

Any particular reason? Seems odd. I presume that’s just senior and intermediate?

It’s always been like that for as long as I remember. I would think it’s for revenue reasons. Duggan Park, Athenry, Loughrea, Pearse Stadium etc will all have double headers. How would a club season ticket work otherwise? Eg If St. Thomas’ v Sars was in Castledaly and Portumna v Castlegar was in Portumna no one would get to see the games and you’d have no neutrals.
Yes Senior and Intermediate. Camogie is usually neutral at Senior, some years they manage neutral venues at Intermediate too.

Have to disagree with you there. Think the Gaa are really missing a trick not having first 2 rounds of a 4 team group home and away like they do in Mayo. Would really spice up games. Why would no neutrals attend?

1 Like

The double-headers are the selling point. I’d say 80% of the crowds at club games are neutrals and they’d be less inclined to head to standalone games in smaller venues.

1 Like

What @Diabhal said

Thats grand for bogball but some clubs have really short pitches which aren’t up to senior hurling matches.

Id disagree. Make for much better games and occasions if each club got to host 1 championship game a year. Get lots of neutrals at these games id imagine.

You also have officials to think about. At a double header the ref and a linesman alternate. It would be near impossible have linesmen and umpires at individual home venues for individual games.
And I wouldn’t be taking too much inspiration from Mayo GAA tbf

Most county boards want walled in pitches now to host games to avoid cunts climbing through a ditch to get in for nothing, as well as being suitable for streaming.

1 Like

Amd to prevent mad cuntz crossing the lime!

2 Likes

I wondered if this wasn’t part of the thinking , but I’m surprised about intermediate tbh.