Galway - quadruple travails part 2

Look fierce like the banjo pluckers there.

AFAIK we went fully maroon and white in the 30s. Apparently we chose these colours as Maroon and white was/is the colour of the sails on Claddagh hookers. The king of the Claddagh had a white sail and all of his ‘subjects’ had maroon ones.

6 Likes

a neighbour here just confirmed this

1 Like

Did you know that Galway didn’t always take to the field in maroon & white?
Up to the early 1930’s, the Galway county teams wore blue & gold!

Galway’s first All-Ireland titles in football (1925) & hurling (1923) at senior level were won in the colours now worn by Tipperary.

It was 1934 before Galway teams started wearing maroon & white.

When the Galway hurlers won the long delayed 1923 All-Ireland SHC final, played in September 1924, Galway wore blue & gold.

When the Galway footballers lost the 1919 All-Ireland SFC final to Kildare, Galway wore black & amber jerseys.
While in the 1922 final against Dublin, the Galway colours were blue & gold.

By the early 1930’s, the Galway County Board had to choose a different colour for the Galway county teams (as the blue & gold was clashing with Tipperary).

1 Like

Fuck Tipp

1 Like

Very sensible decision. Couldn’t countenance being confused with those cheating cunts.

I read they went maroon as when they decided to change they picked the county football champions of that year and copied their colour.

Who were that year’s champions

(thats a question for ye)

Fr Griffins?

Close

UCG

2 Likes

Correct

Did he small talk you and ask what part of the county you were from? Couldn’t be wasting good ash on city folk.

True enough. Anything was wasted on me. Googled it there, don’t think it was him. It’s a good 15 years back but I recall it being pretty much on the main road. Can’t believe I can’t remember tbh.

Would anyone know a reliable and honest plumber who’d do a job in Louisburg direction?
My sister’s house.
Probably a 2 week job.

I’m trying to figure out who this was

Me too. It has my head wrecked. I’m thinking it wasnt ardrahan now. I’m thinking possibly loughrea.
I can’t believe I’ve forgotten it.

Larkins in Kilimor I’d say

Or Larkin in Moyleen on the old main Dublin Rd outside of Loughrea

Outside Westport?

1 Like

Far from main road. Most likely Phillip in Loughrea.

3 Likes

Yep