Galway - quadruple travails part 2

They all respect him personally but thereā€™s doubts after last Sunday that heā€™ll stay on. He had 2 more years anyways but heā€™s 4 years at it now with 3 bad years in them. Scan is meant to be a bit of a spoofer allegedly but theyā€™ve great time for Divilly and Oā€™Neill.

2 Likes

You could nearly move King Henry on now at this stage. Outside managers have never worked in Galway.

2 Likes

Outside managers never work anywhere. Offaly the only county who have ever had success with one

2 Likes

Starting with Galway winning their first All Ireland in modern times in 1980 - Cyril Farrell, Jarlath Cloonan, Noel Lane, Conor Hayes, Anthony Cunningham, Michael Dononghue are the managers who have got Galway to an All Ireland Final. All 6 are from Galway.

Ger Loughnane, John McIntyre, Shane Oā€™Neill, Henry Shefflin the four outside managers have achieved very little.

7 Likes

Outside of Dermot Healy, Ɖamonn Cregan and double-agent Bond it just doesnā€™t work for intercounty hurling. Youā€™d always be thinking Shefflin ultimately has his eye on the KK job as well.

And that was because of a monumental shafting of Clare

And Limerick being Limerick

Donā€™t think he did himself any favours if that was his goal.

The @Kilkennys will look on his time with the Matties with sympathy. Little King Henry could do in fairness.

Outside managers generally donā€™t work because the inside players arenā€™t good enough. Itā€™s not particularly to do with the managers.

2 Likes

After going to Galway heā€™d have to manage the Kilkenny u15s, minors, 20s and camogies before heā€™d be let near the top job.

Henry hasnā€™t shown much to indicate that heā€™s cut out for management. It reminds me a bit of Sir Bobby Charlton managing Preston North End back in the 1970ā€™s. That was Sir Bobbyā€™s last full time managerial gig too.

2 Likes

Shefflington is a lower level manager where shouting and intimidation gets results, top class teams at inter County have mived on from that management style 20 years ago

Great players rarely make great managers. Henry should really have served his managerial apprenticeship in some hurling backeater like Laois or Wicklow before progressing to the big leagues.

1 Like

Pele and Maradona were hopeless in management and administration, Shefflington should stick to organising the club lottery in Ballyhale

2 Likes

Was Babs not Galway manager for 79?

Edit: I see you start from 1980!

1 Like

Is your theory that if the inside players were good enough, they wouldnā€™t need to be going outside the county for a manager

1 Like

Not quite that simple smarty pants.

Shefflin will probably step down now. No real progress happening. I wouldnā€™t say KK will be beating down the door for him either

1 Like

I thought it was a good theory fucko