Galway - quadruple travails part 2

Galway need to get a couple of right ignorant cunts like Skehill into the management team.

3 Likes

Well not too many All Ireland favourites have outside
managers but their favouritism is generally based on a good group of players. These tend to be the bigger or ‘traditional’ counties where there are rarely outside managers due to the internal options or tradition.

It’s generally mediocre mid and lower ranking counties that have to get the outside volunteers.

Mediocre and lower ranking counties tend not to win too many championships.

Galway have had a transition problem long before 2023.

14 minor titles

1983, 1992, 1994, 1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 under 20/21 titles
1972, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2005, 2007, 2011

99-11… 6 minor titles to 3 u21

12-23

5 minor titles to 0 u20/21
And very few hard luck stories in there.

2 Likes

Spot on

1 Like

Pep.

I disagree. I think he’s steadied a badly listing ship. I can’t think of anyone who’d do any better really. I’ll be disappointed if he goes.
Skehill? The rest of Ireland would absolutely love it if skehill was involved.

Babs
John O’Mahony

Offaly is somewhere.

Gerald McCarthy (to a point) and Justin McCarthy worked with Waterford. Justin McCarthy was a relative success with Clare, so too Len Gaynor. Davy with Wexford worked, but he stayed two years too long. Daly with Dublin worked.

In football, outside of John O’Mahony and Eugene McGee, Mick O’Dwyer with Kildare and Laois, Malachy O’Rourke with Monaghan, Kieran McGeeney with Kildare, Jason Ryan with Wexford, Mickey Moran with Donegal and Mayo, Tommy Lyons with Offaly, John Maughan with Clare, Martin McHugh with Cavan, Charlie Mulgrew with Fermanagh, all had successful tenures.

Davy and Liam Cahill* got them to All Ireland finals (*one was admittedly a winter blitz).

Forgot about Cahill. With Waterford Davy was a short term gun for hire to get them to the 2008 All-Ireland final, which he just about did by scraping past a very green Tipperary team after a handy qualifier run, but maybe it would have been better if he hadn’t. The other three years of his tenure were basically pointless. He kept Waterford at a reasonably respectable level but it might have been better if they’d bottomed out for a few years around 2009-2011.

Outside of when he had Kinnerk with him in Clare, 2017-19 Wexford was Davy’s most impressive job at inter-county level. It was a good fit for those three years, but only three years.

SFC Rnd 1

Moycullen 1-19
An Spidéal 0-06

St Michaels 2-08
Dunmore MacHales 1-08

St James 0-8
Annaghdown 1-04

1 Like

25 years gone in the blink of an eye. Halcyon days.

1 Like

Good to see O Mahony with them. Really think the mgmt should be out on the field on jubilee day as well.

8 Likes

I believe they had a fine aul night in Malahide on Saturday.

Nice to see them kitted out in matching suits. Fair play.

Tomás Mannion looks like he’d still do a job for us. What a player he was.

1 Like

I’m sure I remember Mannion being a farmer, there is a lot to be said for that type lifestyle out west compared to the two fellas of similar age in the photo in handy office numbers in Dublin.

2 Likes

Colm O Rourke used to say every team needs a farmer.

That is certainly no longer the case.

He is indeed. Probably the most important player in that AI winning side.