Galway - quadruple travails part 2

Brolly was having a cut off Derry players this week, Brolly himself was 29 when Mannion treated him like a child in the 98 semi-final. A senior club medal in hurling and football, AI medal in 1998, then came back from retirement in 2001 to get another. Great bit of stuff.

5 Likes

As Brolly himself said about the AI semifinal in ‘98.

“I had a great game, I held Tomás Mannion to 2 points”

3 Likes

At centre back.
Enjoyed a bit of rugby too with Monivea.
Uncle to Joseph and Kevin Cooney.

2 Likes
4 Likes

At least I don’t have to renew me season ticket for 2024 so

1 Like

Whatever about the HS situation, I’d be iffy myself, you don’t approve of PJ’s position?

Sounds like there may be some changes to the backroom teams.

Joyce is a managerial spoofer. Tactically naïve and far too stubborn to take input. When Cian O’Neill is gone in 2024 and we’re left with Scan as number 2 we’ll realise it’s been 3 out of 4 years wasted under Joyce. Great player but doesn’t have the managerial nous.

With Shefflin there’s nobody available within Galway or beyond that is gonna want the job that would be a high enough standard. Regardless of how poor Galway are they’re still a consistent Top 4 side. Hanley & Lynskey are the only two available that might’ve taken the gig and we’re as well off sticking with Sheffli if that’s the case. Shefflin being offered an extra year on top of the 3 no matter what happens in 2024 is nonsense.

4 Likes

I don’t think it is with Shefflin. I’d try and get him for 3 more years if I could.

Would there be any value put on a Leinster title in Galway hurling circles at all? If it is accepted that they are a bit off competing for an AI surely they should at least target a Leinster to build on, they very nearly threw away their shot at the final this year with an awful display against Dublin.

We don’t do targets in Galway.

Shefflin will jump ship as soon as a couple of key men retire. He won’t be the man to stick around for the rebuild.

I could see TJ Ryan going to Galway. Would there be many who would want MD back?

There’s value in it, in that it gets you straight to an AI semi final against a beaten Munster team. Enjoyed the shite out of the first win in ‘12. Was so unexpected and emphatic.

HS needs to win Leinster next year.

1 Like

Is CON expected to leave?

I dunno lad, I think you are being a bit harsh here. He brought in CON, he made demands in the beginning on what he wanted from players and how Galway should play football. After that he had to adjust to the talent available. He introduced some good young talent and has Galway back in Div 1 and they are contending.
He cannot be accountable for the absence of Silke or the poor form and inconsistencies of the likes of Tierney, Heaney, Finnerty or Walsh and then you had the injuries to Comer.

The injuries really sunk them this year. CON was on OTB last week and pretty much said as much. Said a big part of them reaching the final last year was they kept everyone fit and available. Much different this year.

1 Like

HS may as well plan for a rebuild project with Galway in the long term as we are his best shot. He will never manage Kilkenny. He will never be forgiven for coming to Galway.
But yea, shit or leave the pot.

The talk is he let Joyce know months back he was gone.

But Joyce shouldn’t be blameless for lads losing form either. It’s part of his job to have them playing the best of their abilities.

4 Likes

MOD is locked into Dublin but I think the chances of him coming back to Galway are done as of 2021.