Galway v Clare

Limerick unlike Galway have never won back to back All Ireland’s. With @anon32894817 putting such store on back to back wins to cement the legacy of a team, he presumably doesn’t rate the achievements of Mick Mackey or the Limerick team of the 1930’s very highly.

2 Likes

Not many. No point having a dig at Limerick when for their piss poor record it still trumps Galway’s. A team who had an automatic semi final for decades.

Geoff

Are you saying this is a freak year like 2013 ??

The Limerick 1933-40 team has to go down as one of the greats, contesting four finals in a row and winning two, losing by a point to Kilkenny in 1935, and winning again in 1940. Not too dissimilar to Galway in 85-90.

I’m not having a dig at Limerick, I’m having a dig at @anon32894817.
Limerick are my second favorite hurling team, I will be roaring them on Sunday.

No. There’s a changing of the guard to some extent this year but you still have the All Ireland champions there. I think Limerick are a coming team and will win one or two All Ireland’s with this crop, but not this year. Cork are stronger than they were in 2013. Clare, I find harder to gauge. I think both semi finals will be close this weekend. Ultimately I fully expect Galway to emulate the team of 1987-88.

2 Likes

I am not saying you are mate. I feel the same in relation to Galway, I think it is fair to say both counties have underachieved massively. I think this Galway side could win three or four the next few years. Even in our winning U21 sides Galway have us most to do, great depth to come to an already strong panel.

1 Like

I’m not sure I buy the underachieved line. If we are being honest, in hurling history you have Kilkenny, Cork and Tipp, although in the past 50 years it’s Kilkenny and Cork. The rest of us have been scraping for scraps and occasionally make a breakthrough. There have been very few teams outside the big 3/2 that have won more than one AI, Galway and Offaly in the 80s, Clare and Offaly in the 90s, that’s about it.

While it’s true Galway lost 6 AI finals between 1988 and 2017, the reality is they weren’t quite good enough in those finals to win. Just like Limerick weren’t quite good enough in the five they lost since 1973.

2 Likes

Wexford 1955/56 and Galway 1987/88 only back to back winners outside of the Big 3 in 130 years.

Limerick, Clare, Waterford and Offaly have never done it.

1 Like

I would put a team that wins two out of three years in essentially the same bracket, especially after losing the middle final.

It does illustrate the historical hierarchical nature of hurling. In football, outside of the Big 2, back to back has been done by nine other counties.

1 Like

A massively overstated victory

4 tips yesterday, 4 losers. Anyone who takes this guy serious would want their head examined.

A very valid point. Like anything you have to strike while the iron is hot and while the opportunity is there to be taken.

Limerick is a small hurling county lucky to win the odd all Ireland when the big boys are rebuilding.

You took some beating from @GeoffreyBoycott there. You ok?

2 Likes

I didn’t Geoff done his usual history lesson about totally irrelevant facts. Simple facts are Galway have to win on Saturday to have a chance to be remembered as a great team. Otherwise they’ll be remembered as perennial underachievers that won a soft all Ireland.

You’re the only one that claimed it was a soft AI. Strange.

Dublinn and Wexford are crap. Tipperary and Waterford didn’t win a game between them this year.

Bizarre logic. Tipperary and Waterford in 2018 has zero relevance to the merits of Galway’s win in 2017. Galway dethroned Tipperary, the All Ireland champions of 2016 in the 2017 semi final. That was a Tipperary side that many were predicting were to dominate the hurling landscape after hammering Kilkenny in the 2016 All Ireland and were seemingly going to win 2, 3 or even 4 in a row.