Galway v Tipp

I wish

Surprised that Tipp had more possession than Galway.

Tactics and positioning in hurling are usually general enough in nature and operate on principles and directives rather than micro-level specifics. This is a rare example of a play where specific positioning and a plan should surely be absolutely key. The stakes don’t get any higher than this sort of situation. The initial goal surely has to be to retain possession from the sideline ball and then to work a shot from there. If the game was professional I’ve no doubt specific tactics for such a situation would be worked out, but it would appear that teams, bar maybe Kilkenny, don’t really do that at the moment. Tipperary basically went for a hit and hope with a confused marking policy, which didn’t work out for them.

3 Likes

That’s a terrific post Sidney. The type of scenario that gets catered for in a billion dollar sport like NFL and yet you often see coaches making strange calls, like the Seahawks in last Superbowl.

It was apparent that Tipp didn’t really have a clear plan. Gleeson had hit the ball short to win the sideline ball in the first place had he not? But they weren’t interested in possession when they got the chance to work something short. You can’t plan for every scenario but it’s useful to have some pre meditated gameplan for the end of a match to avoid emotive decisions based on momentum etc.

Gleeson hasn’t done much wrong for Tipperary all year but he’ll have competition from Colm Callanan. Pulled off some crucial saves in the second half today.

He was excellent today but he pulled off a double save against us that was class before the penalty.
He deserves it

Coundn’t agree more. Probably Codys last year anyway. Tis alright batein the likes of Wexford by umpteen points but this KK team with the injuries they have won’t be able to match Galways intensity. Twirls be an awful thing to do but I’d nearly chance a few bob on Galway

Haven’t read any of the comments yet. But by fuck kk will punish this Galway farce.
Barry Kelly handed it to Galway today. They played their ltiile hearts out and scraped Past an off Tipp par team.
Kk Leinster cup
Tipperary Munster

Sure.

By the rules both Canning’s pull and Donnellan’s pull were both red card offences for sure.

Canning’s could be argued wasn’t, his intention was to play the ball. Donnellan definitely should’ve been red.

Eamonn O’Shea is a top class bloke. Pity he didn’t get the All Ireland but such is life.

1 Like

There was also a fairly wild pull one of the Galway players last on, think it was by the corner back Mannion which he got away with desputectge ref being less than 10 yards away. I suppose it was karma for Eoin Kellys pulls that went unpunished on Ollie Canning in 2010

Glynn should also have been booked for a barge on Maher shortly after the Canning bookibg

I thought there was more logic to that call than everybody said. Coach Carroll was effectively trusting Russell Wilson to not throw an interception with one play. Slightly more risk involved but 29 times out of 30 it would have meant three plays to score a touchdown rather than two. Obviously because of the way it worked out it looked dumb as hell, but that’s sport.

Any referee will be very reluctant to send off Canning, especially that early in the game, whatever about later on. Another player may not have been so lucky. I certainly wouldn’t argue that Patrick Horgan’s pull against Limerick in 2013 was any worse than Canning’s today and Horgan saw red for that.

Yeah but Barry Kelly is an experienced top class referee and he knows that Joe intended to flick the ball away from the Tipp lad. Kelly also had a decent view of it.

James McGrath sent off Horgan for what he thought was a strike to the head. A decision he made on the spot based on what he saw.

Punters have no idea how fast things are and how difficult it is to get those decisions right. Referees are are pitch level and have to deal with people trying to con them at every contact. And they can only go on their line of vision which, as in the case of the Munster Final, is not always the best.

Basically Barry Kelly was bang on and I hope he gets the final but he probably won’t because he got a semi final.

2 Likes

Cracking interview with Eugene McGee today in the Indo. I laughed out loud at it. McGee is a bit of a nutter.

Cody wouldn’t allow Kelly be given the final.

1 Like

Best performance in two years. I didn’t think he was worth his place on the starting 15 earlier in the year. Delighted to be proven wrong. Midfield is the spot for him.

1 Like

The former Mayo manager?

It’ll be James Owens (I expect him to get it) or Johnny Ryan.

did anyone think at times today the place was totally devoid of athmosphere?
we were in the lower hogan and at times we looked around and no one was shouting, cheering
eamon o shea was prancing about in front of us and we’re thinking if that was JBM, davey or ritchie bennis ud have lads up shouting but it seemed very reserved and quite, maybe its the dreaded croke park factor, it got lively towards the end but for a game of such excitement it deseved better
mind you, you wont meet a sounder bunch than a hurling crowd, the bar area under the hogan was filled with all sort of roaster, drunk, ould fella and young lads on the tare, wonderful ould craic in fairness with decent hurling conversation

2 Likes